ONE

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Dust, smoke, and ash floated in the air creating a thick fog.

"Dear friend across the river,"

"My hands are cold and bare,"

"Dear friend across the river,"

"I'll take what you can spare,"

An explosion followed by screams can be heard in the streets of the underground. Special Division and police officers fire into the crowd. One of the officers fires a round into the chest of a mafia member who was laying on the ground and continued walking forward.

"I ask of you a penny,"

"My fortune it will be,"

"I ask you without envy,"

"We raise no mighty towers,"

The officer reloads his gun, walking past broken buildings and corpses lying on the ground.

"Our homes are built of stone,"

"So come across the river"

"And find . . ."

Violet stops walking, Powder holding her hand stopped singing her song and removed her hand that was covering her eyes to look at her sister. Violet's eyes were wide with shock. Powder showed fear as she looked around at the devastation surrounding them. Vi squeezes Powder's hand to comfort her sister and herself.

Grunts and metallic clanking could be heard off the left side of them. They look over. A large man grabbed and punched an officer to the ground. The man breathing heavily looked over his shoulder at the two kids. Turning to face them Vi moves Powder behind him to protect her.

The man walks up to them staring with remorseful eyes. Powder noticed the dead bodies around them and hide her face in Vi's side and hugged her sisters arm. The man watched as Vi broke down crying Powder try to comfort her. The large man looks to his hands covered by bulky metal boxing gloves that are stained with blood.

The gloves fall to the ground creating cracks in the floor and kicking up dust, dirt, and ash.

The man picks up Powder and holds her close while grabbing Vi's hand, leading them away from the catastrophic scene. The man left his allies and enemies behind. Vi looks back and sees the police watching them as they walked away. The officers turned around and also left the area.

━━━━━━ ⊙ ━━━━━━

Grunts could be heard as a group of four children were climbing a wall.