EIGHT

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Inside a rusted abandoned shipping warehouse was Dazai finishing setting up a long table full of pastries and desserts.

Dazai walks to the end of the table and sits down in a chair "That should do it. I can't wait. Imagine how happy that brat's going to be when he finds out he's getting such a grand party in honor of his newfound freedom."

"Dazai," Randou sat at the opposite end of the room near the corner, "you said you found out who's behind Arahabaki. Is that true? Or did you lie to torment Chuuya?"

"Both, of course. I said what I did in front of him so he'd take on the bet, but it's also true that I know who's behind it."

"Oh? Who is it?"

"You, Randou. You impersonated the former boss and spread rumors about Arahabaki. Do you have anything to say?"

"What's your reasoning?"

"You've made a mistake. A very basic mistake."

"And what mistake is that?"

Dazai makes eye contact "The sea. You said this: When you saw Arahabaki and the black flames. . ."Just the sea, in the distance, basking gently in the moonlight. That alone is vivid in my memory.""

"I did say that. Because that's what I saw. What about it?"

"Are you sure you want me to spoil for you?"

"Tell me."

"It happened close to the center of the Suribachi City, and Suribachi City is a hemispherical basin valley that was carved out by the explosion."

"Oh! I see!" Randou stands up and slowly stalks towards the end of the table leaning his hands on it.

"Exactly. There's no way you would have seen the sea. If you were inside a giant depression roughly two kilometers wide, the sea would never be within sight, no matter how tall you stood. Why, then, did you say you saw the sea? You described Arahabaki with persuasiveness that was almost truthful. So, how? It's because you did indeed see the sea. That's why you made that mistake. You could have only have seen the sea from Suribachi City before it was made. Before the giant explosion eight years ago, at the end of the conflict."

"You made a bet with Chuuya, didn't you? Have you won that bet, then? You've beat him to the man behind it all."

Dazai sighs as he heard screaming in the distance coming closer. Randou looks to the side as he sees a shadow approaching the window to his left. The window breaks as Chuuya kicks it flying through the room and colliding with Randou. The speed that Chuuya was traveling forced Randou and him through the window to the right of them into the main area of the warehouse. The two slammed into the ground kicking up dust and rubble. Chuuya used his ability to blast the dust away clearing the area so that he can see.