Mentions and descriptions of a panic attack. Be warned.

---
Monday, I was back at work like every other human being trying to make a living. I was still a little shaken from what had happened over the weekend, but I tried to do my best work nonetheless. Everyone came to greet me when I came in, telling me how worried they were about me and how glad they were that I was safe. These people were really the closest thing to family I had. I put so much trust and love in this workspace and my colleagues. No matter how small of a team we were, we were a fucking team. But that didn’t erase the fact that we all had secrets. 

    Matt came in a little later than me, and he was cut and bruised like normal. Damn, that dude has to be clumsy as shit. I know he’s blind, but he can’t possibly fall down the stairs that often. And Mr. cookie-cutter White male is for sure not getting hate crimed. I’d wondered what the deal was for a while, but I’d never asked. He told Foggy that he’s clumsy, and Foggy is his closest friend, so I trusted it. 

    I had a lot of paperwork and research to do since we had 2 cases come in this week. I cleared my mind of anything that might stop me from maximum focus and began to work.

    I forgot to eat lunch since I was so caught up in my work. I vaguely remember Foggy asking if I wanted to get food with him, Matt and Karen, but I declined. I was on a roll and I didn’t want to stop. My mistake. After I finished the paperwork for the first case, I took a break for a short while. That was until I heard footsteps that I didn’t recognize coming towards the office. 

Matt’s footsteps were accompanied by a cane, Foggy’s was slower and Karen’s sounded clicky, since she wore heels. These were not any of them. I slowly crept into Matt’s office area since it was shielded from the door and grabbed a pen from Foggy’s desk on the way in case I needed to protect myself. My eyes were fixated on that door until I couldn’t see it anymore. The footsteps suddenly stopped.

It was completely quiet. I waited for a minute or so to hear if they’d go away, but then I heard loud banging on the door. The person jiggled the door handle and yelled, still banging on the door like a rabid animal. 

I felt like throwing up and my heartbeat filled my ears. I was too far away from the phone to make it there without being seen. 

Everything was so loud. Please make it stop. 

Make it stop.

Make it stop.

“STOP IT PLEASE! I DON’T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN! MAKE IT STOP!”

The door opened.

“Oh my God, Sasha, are you okay?” Foggy exclaimed, running over to me.

Thank God. It was in my head.

“Sasha, what happened? Did someone come in?”

I could not speak. 

“Here, I’m gonna get her some tissues.” Karen was there.

I could not move.

“It’s gonna be okay, okay? Just breathe. Take your time.”

I could not breathe.

“Everyone, give her some space.” Matt. When did you get there? I’m sorry you had to see me like this.

I could breathe again.

“Here, some uh, tissues for you.” Karen returned.

I could move again.

“Do you feel like you can tell us what happened?” Foggy asked.

I shakily stood up and closed the door. 

“I think. That I should've gone with you. Instead of staying here.” 

“Did someone try to break in or something? Did you hear a sound?”

“Something like that, I think. I,” I hesitated. “Don’t know if anything real happened. I wouldn’t stress out about security. I’m really, really sorry.” I felt myself begin to cry again, even though I really tried not to.

“It’s okay, Sasha. It’s not your fault. This past weekend sounded really stressful for you.” Matt stepped closer to me and held my hand. “Was there…any particular reason you think it may have impacted you like this?”

My thoughts went to the man in the mask. He frightened me. He killed people. Wait, didn't I kill-

“Sasha?” Matt’s velvety voice broke me out of my thoughts.

“The man in the mask. I saw him Saturday night.” I blurted out.

“I’m telling you, that man is a terrorist. He’s insane! I’m sorry you had to see him, Sasha. Did you interact with him or something?” Foggy questioned. Matt tilted his head like he was listening to something very intently.

I thought for a minute. 

“No.”

Matt eased up and looked at me head on. He didn’t say a word. I looked away. It felt wrong to lie to him. To all of them. He still held my hand.

“Sasha, we know this has been hard for you. And we want to do anything we can to help. I can take care of the rest of the paperwork you have left, and you can take the rest of the day off, okay?” Karen suggested. I didn’t deserve her, she had never done anything wrong in her life.

“Thank you so much, Karen. I don’t deserve you.” I responded.

She smiled and along with Foggy, went back to work. I looked down and started to get scared again.

“I don’t think I can go home right now. Not with my head. I’ll have Foggy walk me home or something.”

“I can walk with you. And you can come stay at my place if you want to feel less alone. I have space.” Matt piped up.

“I don’t want to make you go through all that trouble, Matt. It happens, I'll live.”

“But will you be okay?” He responded.

I thought for a minute. No one’s ever asked me that before.

“If you really insist, I will. But I’ll pay you back someday.”

“No worries, Sasha. Anything to help a friend.” He responded, caressing my knuckles with his thumb. I smiled a little and looked up at him, finally letting go of his hand. I was going to be okay.

---
Hey everyone, I hope this chapter added some more insight on the effects of the experience over the weekend and an older experience on Sasha. Shawty got issues but Matt wants to help!