xii. salutations

salutations | the upside down

⌝⌑⌜

( let me be happy. i've earned it - i've fuckin' earned it )

⌝⌑⌜

One Month Later

⌝⌑⌜

JONATHAN PARKED the car across the street from the Wheeler residence, which they could already see from here was full of life and that festive spirit for Christmas Eve.

Will lifted Jordan's crutches from the floor of the back seat, passed them through into the front, and then shot out of the car before the engine had even been turned off.

"Slow down!" Jonathan and Jordan ordered, sharing a roll of the eyes when the boy ignored them and bolted into the house without knocking, his friends Lucas and Dustin already greeting him with wide grins and a hug at the door.

"Little shit." Jordan grumbled, propping the passenger door open and lifting his crutches out in front of him, placing his good foot outside first before carefully standing upright, adjusting the crutches under his arm.

"Sure you don't need a hand?" Jonathan called, shutting the driver's side door and locking the vehicle, eyeing the boy from over the roof of it.

"Fuck off, Jonny." He said in the most joyful tone he could manage, struggling over the lip of the pavement before starting to make slow progress over the gravel road and up the drive-way.

A week after everything that had happened, Jordan and Will were officially cleared to return home with the agreement that they would return for regular check-ins every month or second month depending on how things went.

Joyce drove them both home, let them play whatever music they wanted in the car as loud as they wanted to, and didn't let either of them leave their respective beds (in Jordan's case, the one he had temporarily stolen from Jonathan) for another week on top of the one they had just spent at the Lab's hospital.

When Jordan returned home the first night, still confined to a wheelchair at this point, and opened up his backpack to retrieve a pair of pajamas, he had found it empty. He had called out to Jonathan in confusion, asking about the whereabouts of his clothes, and Jonsthsn had said  "Oh, I cleared out a drawer for you," with an easy shrug.

Jordan had looked at him for a long time without saying anything. And then he had smiled, told him not to mess with his shit again, and Jonathan had left the room with a small grin.