iii. fright nights

fright nights | trick or treat, freak

⌝⌑⌜

( it isn't good for you, he isn't good for you )

⌝⌑⌜

JORDAN MADE idle conversation with Will about his Ghostbuster costume as they sat at the table eating breakfast, only slightly teasing him.

Jonathan set himself down next to Jordan with a heavy sigh after dishing up the fry-up for everyone else, letting out a loud yawn, breathing his chronic case of morning breath directly into Jordan's face.

He gave a dramatic yelp of disgust, turning his head to the side. "Ever hear of a fuckin' toothbrush, Jonny?"

"Shut up, Jordan." Jonathan rolled his eyes, getting up to make himself toast as Jordan chuckled and went back to his cereal.

He took his mouthful of Fruit Loops from the spoon and went to take another when he spotted the looming figure behind him in the reflection of the stainless steel. The image was warped upside down, but Jordan could still see it, clear as day despite its blurred reflection.

See the creature that had since been named the Demogorgan.

He froze, staring intensely at the reflection and willing it to just disappear, too frozen by fear to do anything.

"-dan? Jordan."

He snapped his eyes up to Jonathan's, forcing a strained, questioning smile, "Hm?"

"You okay?"

"What? Yeah, yeah, I'm good - uh, what were you askin'?"

"You're still going to Tina's tonight?"

"Yeah, Gray's draggin' us all out, but I'll be back in time for a movie."

"Cool, just remember to remind Mom before you go so she doesn't freak out when you don't come back with us-"

They were interrupted by a knock on the door, and Jordan got up with some effort, trying not to show the slight discomfort in his leg as he headed for the door, guessing it was either Joyce rushing back from her car on the way to work because she forgot her keys again or Grayson stopping by to bother him or change their Halloween costumes for the fiftieth time.

He opened the door and frowned in confusion when he found Mack standing at the door, arms crossed over her chest, her eyes a little clouded.

"Mack?" Jordan asked, faltering when she didn't respond. He tipped her chin up with his finger, bringing her unfocused eyes to his. "Mack, hey - look at me. What'd you take?"