vi. pre-mature burials

pre-mature burials | the flea and the acrobat

⌝⌑⌜

( it's alright if you ain't okay, jonny )

⌝⌑⌜

THE MORNING of Will's funeral was tense, for lack of a better word.

Everyone took turns in the shower and donned their dark clothes in silence, a weight to the house that Jordan hadn't felt since the night they found the body.

He had just pulled on a black blazer Mack had thrown at him as he was leaving last night over the only solid white t-shirt he owned and tucked the shirt into a pair of dark work jeans one of Cynthia's boyfriends had given him when he brought him to help out on his building site two years ago, the closest thing he had to slacks, when he noticed Jonathan struggling with his tie in the mirror.

Jordan made his way over to him with his head bowed low, still unsure of where they stood after their argument the night before - if it could even be called that, they had kind of just stopped talking to each other.

He reached out tentatively, pulling the straps of the tie from Jonathan's hands and folding them over each other, tucking and fastening until it formed a knot.

"Yeah," Jordan murmured, tightening the fabric and folding down the collar of his dress shirt, "your dad never taught me either."

The boy said nothing and Jordan walked away, clearing his throat as he walked towards the door, unable to bear the silence any longer.

"Thanks." Jonathan said just as Jordan stepped outside the room, still looking at his reflection in the mirror but avoiding his own eyes.

Jordan smiled weakly and left him on his own, making his way down the hall and halting at the sight of Will's open bedroom door. He could see Joyce hunched over on the edge of his bed, holding herself as she glanced around airily.

He wanted to comfort her, try find some words that would actually mean something or, at the very least, offer her a shoulder.

But it seemed his relationships within the Byers family were already beginning to fray - why would he put himself through the pain of repairing them when he knew it was only a matter of time before they were broken all over again when he eventually left?

So Jordan decided to wait in the front yard kicking stones until it was time to go instead.

He passed Lonnie in the living room as he went, the man looking up quickly from some sort of pale blue pamphlet he was reading and folding it over as their eyes met, a scowl creasing his face as he tucked it into his bag on the armchair.