Chapter 5: Origins (Rewritten)

You stood opposite of the training pole with sticks and swung your wooden practice sword at it, it spun, you blocked the incoming stick by repositioning your blade, while simultaneously doing a little jump to avoid the lower sticks attacking your legs. You then blocked another one that came for your gut and rolled forward over your shoulder to avoid one that came for your back.

'He got quite a knack for the sword,' said a bland voice to Ghislaine. She looked over and saw your magic teacher standing there. 'He learns very quickly,' the female with cat features said. 'I have experienced that myself,' Frieren said. 'I've only begun teaching him two months ago, but it already feels like I can't really teach him anything new.'
'How come?'
'He knew all the elementary attack magic in three weeks. It cost him about as much time to master the intermediate spells in earth and fire, his wind and water are still lacking behind, but I've never taught someone who learns as quickly as he does. If it continues at this pace, he'll surpass even me before he is 10.'
'I see. What are his ranks as of now?'
'He's already advanced in earth magic, not really surprising considering the fact that he is a Mendoris. He's intermediate in fire magic, healing magic and detoxification magic and no rank at all in water and air. I don't know what causes it, but hopefully I'll find out soon enough. What rank does he have in the Sword God style?'
'Momentarily no rank at all, but at the end of this session I'll test him.'
'I see. Good luck with it.'
'It's almost his fifth birthday,' Ghislaine said randomly. 'When is it?' the white haired elf woman asked. 'Tomorrow,' the muscular woman answered. 'I want to make it a day he'll remember.'
'Why?'
'I feel responsible for him. I'm the reason he's here, after all.'

'Alright (Y/N)! That's enough for now!' your sword instructor told you. 'Take a rest for now, we'll resume in 5 minutes.'
'Why?' you asked, your suspicion rising as this has never happened before in the last 3 months.
'You'll see by then,' she simply answered, so you layed down your sword and sat down to rest. Meanwhile, Ghislaine fixed her own wooden sword from the little shed.

'What's going on?' asked a young voice next to you. You looked up to see a certain red haired girl standing there. 'I don't really know myself,' you admitted. 'Why are you resting? Shouldn't you be training?' Eris said sternly. She could be pretty commanding for such a little girl. 'Because Ghislaine told me so,' you replied simply. 'Alright! Nap time is over!' the grey haired woman ordered. You grabbed your wooden sword and stood up. 'What are we going to do?' you asked her nervously. 'I'm going to take your exam,' your sword instructor said. 'It will consist of a sparring match between us and if you do well enough you'll officially be elementary ranked in the Sword God style. Also, no using magic or your Songs, just us and our blades. Is that clear?'
You nodded your head and took a fighting stance, as did Ghislaine.

You made the first move, starting your exam. You ran at her and sliced diagonally upward followed by the same movement, but then downward. You tried to thrust at her, but she deflected it. She sliced at you, greatly holding back to give you a chance. You rolled out of the way and sliced at her. She blocked. You pushed her sword away and tried to smash the pommel in her face, but she quickly dodged it. You set more power with your left hand, bringing the wooden sword forward, inching closer and closer to Ghislaine's throat. She parried it and shoulder bashed you, making you fly temporarily through the air. The landing knocked the air out of your lungs and you rolled backwards and got back on your feet. The muscular woman went for a strike to your legs, but you slightly jumped over it and landed on her sword, making it drop due to the sudden increase in weight. You then thrusted forward again, but she side stepped and quickly grabbed her blade again. 'That's enough, (Y/N),' she said. And you relaxed a bit in place. 'So? How did I do?' you asked. 'I didn't expect you to disarm me,' Ghislaine began. 'But you passed with flying colors. Congratulations, you're now elementary ranked!' Though he's already halfway to intermediate, she thought.
'Yeah!' you cheered and you almost fell over when a certain redhead tackled you to the ground. 'You're amazing!' she said happily. You patted her head and said: 'Thanks Eris.' After that you both got up and you looked at your sword instructor. 'So? What now?' you asked her.
'That's enough for today,' she told you. 'Do what you want.'