Part 2

The gaang stayed in the fire nation palace for a few more days to allow Katara to heal Zuko more and prepare him physically to life as fire lord. Katara would arrive at Zuko's room with some water and more bandages early in the morning and heal him a bit, after breakfast she would heal Aang and watch him practice his earthbending with Toph, the two were getting much closer. The door opening shook Katara from another bunch of thoughts, it was happening more and more since the coronation. Zuko stood at the door with his shirtless chest covered in bandages. He stepped away from the door to let her come in. she put the bucket of water in her hands on the floor next to the chair Zuko now sat at, she gave him the clean bandages and took out the dirty bandages of the previous day from his injured body.

"it looks better today" she repeated the sentence she said every day before falling into yet another bunch of thoughts. That was the last day she would be able to spend time alone with him, just the two of them. First thing tomorrow she will climb on Appa and fly back to her village in the south pole. She was wondering if she could tell him that she wanted to stay there as she took the water to her hands and made them glow before putting her hands on the lighting scar on his chest. Could she tell him that Aang was good enough to continue his avatar work without her? could she keep healing her beloved friend? She shivered, stopping her hand movements for a second, beloved? She was supposed to be with Aang, Zuko was with Mai, how could she think such things about her friend?

"Katara? is everything okay?" he put a hand on her shoulder. She looked up, contemplating if she should share her thoughts with him, his face seemed slightly worried.

"I was just thinking about staying here a few days longer, you still need more healing sessions" she said, deciding to share a sliver of her thoughts with him.

"I like having you around, it's a reminder of our little group, but won't Aang need you too?"

"Aang is doing much better than you, don't forget that he has a few weeks of healing sessions over you. There's nothing more I can do for him, maybe today's session, but that's it. Your injury could still get infected, you need a few more sessions at least" he laughed at her things, his laugh was something she had never heard before, it was good to hear.