Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Blood trickles down my cheek and there is a burning sensation coming from the cut. I lean back against the rocky wall in hopes that the waterfall with disrupt the sight of me. The only thing I can think about is that that arrow belongs to another tribe. Surely, no one from my city would try to kill me. Peter flashes in my mind. If the elves spot him, they'll kill him. I have to lead them somewhere else- somewhere the boys won't find me.

Taking a deep breath, I dart out from behind the waterfall and into the forest at the water's edge. The whizzing sound of arrows being shot at me runs by me but they miss. I zigzag around trees and bushes, leaping over fallen logs and roots. I don't dare look back to see if anyone is nearby. The world around me blurs to greens and browns as I race toward an unknown destination

I glance down at my feet only to slam into something hard the moment I do. My back lands first on the dirt ground, the air leaving my lungs. I choke out and try to suck in to breathe but nothing goes through.

Up above me stands a tall man with straight blonde hair. He's an elf. Lean and lanky with a bow in one hand and an arrow in the other. His pale blue eyes stare down at me, reading me. Finally, my lungs give in and air flows through me.

"Why are you doing this?" I hiss.

A blonde brow raises. "You're her, aren't you?"

He lifts the hand with the arrow and looks off behind me. Rolling onto my side, I notice a group of elven men running up to us with bows pointed at me.

"It's Lahona," the blonde man says.

"How do you know me?" I roll over onto my back, my fingers digging into the dirt below.

"I'm Marion. The man you're supposed to be marrying before you ran off."

Marion. My fiancée. The man my father is forcing me to marry. Or was?

"Or did you run off?" He questions.

I hesitate, giving him the answer he's looking for.

"Someone took you." His eyes widen in realization. "Who?" He asks, kneeling in front of me. He puts the arrow away and hooks the bow around his shoulder.

I look away and remain silent.

"You're protecting them." He ends the distance between us and grabs my hands from the ground. He tugs me up to stand and frowns down at me.

I'm no pretty sight right now. My back and hair are covered with dirt and I am soaked to the bone. But he doesn't let go of my hands. I try to pry them away from his but his grip only gets stronger.

"Let me go!" I demand.

"No. We're taking you home."

"Get your hands off of her!" Orders a young familiar voice. We look around to find no one in our sight. But unlike the other elves, I look up and see Peter flying down at us at top speed with his sword ready to strike.

I try to step back but to no avail. Peter slips between us and kicks Marion in the chest, sending the elven male flying to the ground. He doesn't let go of my hands at first, and I slam into Peter's back before he releases me.

Peter steps between Marion's spread legs and points his sword down at his chest. The group of archers behind us prep their bows.

"No!" I shout. I step between the archers and Peter and fling my arms out to block any sight of Peter from their view.