Chapter 5: Anxiously Awaiting

Peter POV:

I pulled her in closer, wanting there to be no space between us, not anymore. It was unfamiliar at first, but as it went on, we relaxed into it.

Her lips were so soft, and my hand on her face felt her warmth.

I just went for it.

The moment came and I took it.

She kissed me back. She didn't pull away from me, she didn't hesitate.

We both pulled away slowly and looked at each other, processing what had happened.

The realization set in quickly: what does this mean for us now? Does Y/N like me too then?

The moment was cut short by my phone loudly ringing across the room. Instantly, I opened the doors and darted towards it to turn it off in case May could have heard it from outside.

I looked at who was calling me, and my heart stopped.

"It's Happy," I gasped. Y/N's face went pale.

"Don't answer it!" she insisted.

"That'll just make him more suspicious! Maybe he's just calling to check in," I suggested, as she started pacing around the room. She looked kinda cute when she was worried.

"He's not! The longer we wait the more suspicious he could be as to why you aren't answering!" she said exasperated.

"I'm supposed to be at school though, so that'll be my alibi," I decided, and Y/N nodded.

I answered and put it on speaker so she could hear too.

"Hey Happy," I said in my casual voice.

"Peter, where is she?" Happy asked irritated.

"Where is...who?" I asked.

"Don't play dumb with me kid, she's not at the tower and she was just here like 20 minutes ago—"

"Y/N's missing?" I asked, trying to seem surprised. I looked up at her and she gave me a thumbs up.

"Yes," Happy hissed.

"I'm at school right now so I can't really talk, but if you need help finding her I'll can be out in..." I checked the time.

"An hour or so," I guessed.

"Kid. I swear to god if I find out she's with you—"

"Okay thanks Happy bye!" I said quickly, ending the call.

"We better go back before he loses his head," Y/N suggested.

"I'll just pretend that I was there the whole time...uh...on another floor or something," she continued. I loved our little plots together.

My mind immediately went back to the moments before the call. How much I had wanted it. And how much I wanted to do it again. Y/N seemed preoccupied as if what we did never happened.

Did I screw this up?

Was she just kissing back to be nice?

WAS SHE EVEN KISSING ME BACK OR DID I JUST RUIN EVERYTHING???

"Uh...*ahem* yeah, yeah. Do you need me to uh, get you back then?" I asked, knowing she would.

"Considering the distance, that would be best," she said.

And then we stood there.

She couldn't even meet my eye.

"Y/N?" I asked cautiously.

"Mhm?". Still no eye contact. She was looking at every possible thing other than me.

I took a few steps towards her.

"Y/N?" I asked again. This time she couldn't help but look up at me. Once her eyes met mine, they couldn't leave. Not if they tried.

"I um," I started, nervous because once I said what I wanted to say, there was no going back.

"I really like you," I finally gathered. If that wasn't clear by me kissing her, than I don't know what is.

Her expression was unreadable.

Shit.

This sent me into a rambling mess to try and fix what I had just done.

"A-a-and if you don't like me too and you were just being nice in there than I'm sorry that you felt you had to do that. And um, I would never want to jeopardize our friendship because if this is what makes me lose you than I'm really really sorry and I mean we could forget that all of this happened and yeah maybe it would be awkward at first but it's better than losing you because I don't want to lose you-"

She was laughing.

Her beautiful laugh.

I could help but smile along, though confused.

"W-what?" I asked lightly.

"Of course I like you too, Parker," she said causally, gently grabbing hold of my hands in hers.

"Really?" I asked softly.

"You are, I think, my favorite person," she said. I had never heard anyone say that to me. It meant the world to me.

She was my favorite person too.

She was smiling.

I smiled wider.

We both were just standing there. Holding hands and smiling at each other. It was perfect.

"Peter?" she finally asked.

"Yeah?"

"We really should get back," she said.

"Okay," I said, putting my mask back on. She held to my neck, and my heart soared. Together, I swung her back to the tower balcony I had first taken her from.

I gently set her down as I crouched from the railing to look at her.

"So...same time tomorrow? After you attend school, of course" she asked playfully, her hands on either side of where I was crouching  as she leaned in.

"Come with me," I asked.

"I've asked Tony and he hasn't given me a clear answer yet. Maybe he will be back today and I'll convince him," she said.

"You better," I said playfully. She smiled and walked towards the door.

"What? I don't get a goodbye kiss?" I asked, offended. She laughed.

"It'll make you all the more anxious to see me tomorrow. Don't be late," she winked as she went inside.

I sighed fully and lightly as I felt my head soar through the clouds.

I really like her.

I leaned off the railing into a free fall that mirrored my emotions. I shot a web at the last second and swung myself back home, anxious to see her again tomorrow, as she intended.