Chapter 8: Future

"Hey, I didn't see you come in," he said, looking towards Peter.

"We've been meaning to go shopping for more furniture so our guests aren't sitting on the ground," he said, and I smiled uncomfortably.

"How's the studying going?" he asked suddenly, looking around at the fact we had no books with us.

"Uh, we haven't started yet," I said.

"We're just...catching up," Peter explained.

Catching up. Sure. That's what we are calling that.

"I see. Well, the construction will be going on for a few more hours so if it's gets too loud, feel free to use the office down the hall," Tony said. We nodded.

"Thanks."

"You guys, uh, need anything to eat?" he asked. Peter and I looked at each other a shrugged.

"I think we're okay for now," I concluded.

There was tension in the air. Awkward tension. Tension between Peter and I because of how we left things. Tension between me and Tony because I have a boy in my room and he doesn't know what to do. Tension between Tony and Peter because he is the boy in my room.

"Alright. Let me know if you two need anything. I'll be right outside. Not the door, I'll be in the construction area," he corrected. He finally started towards the door, but as he stepped out he pushed it further open, and I caught a smirk as he disappeared around the corner.

Peter looked at me and we both giggled.

"Studying?" he smiled.

"I mean, you do have to catch me up on what you've been learning this year so I am fully ready in a few days."

"Okay but, have you ever considered the fact that since you have powers you are destined for more than just school?" Peter questioned, scooting closer to me. I plopped down on to the floor in front of him.

"I don't know...I mean I guess I always assumed I would hide it my whole life."

"But you're an Avenger now!" Peter remarked.

"Am I?"

"Kinda!"

I stopped and thought about it.

"Still. I want a life outside of my powers you know? It doesn't define who I am. And, what if somehow they go away again, forever? I'd like to make something of my life that I worked for, not based on something that I was given on accident," I pondered. We stayed quiet for a moment.

"That's...a good way of looking at things," he said.

"Is that how you feel? That school isn't important anymore?" I asked.

"Well, not not important. But yeah. I think of it like this: I was given these powers for a reason. To help people. If I were to hide them away, I would be wasting them. And it would be hard to juggle a job and helping people whenever they needed me."

He has a good point.

"Alright that's fair. Maybe I can mix the two: work with the Avengers AND have some kind of a job that I worked for without the powers," I said.

"But, we shouldn't worry about that right now. Right now, we are just kids and don't have to worry about anything ever," I exaggerated. He laughed and pulled me into his arms.

"If only that we're true," he said.

I hoped he wasn't serious. He's only had his powers for a few months, so I'm sure it's exciting for him. With all this talk today, I worry that he only sees himself as Spider-Man, that that's his only future.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah?" I asked, laying in his lap.

"If we hadn't met how we did, do you think we would have been...anything?" he asked.

"Well no, I lived pretty far from Queens," I said. I looked up into his eyes.

"You know what I mean," he said smiling.

"It's hard to tell. But, if I would have met you under any other circumstances, I think we would have been drawn to each other because of who we are. Even if I somehow forgot you, I would still like you the moment I would have seen you," I said. Now he was smiling uncontrollably.

"You would forget me?"

"Never."

A few hours later, we had kissed, studied, and kissed some more. I loved talking to him. He gave me new perspectives on things, as I did with him. I wanted this to last forever. I would do my best to make this last forever.