3

I waited until I didn't hear any noise around me, in the walls or on the ceiling above me. And then I waited a little longer.

I sat up in the cot, moving the thin blanket off my lap. I slid myself across the cot until my feet laid flat on the cold wooden floor, pausing as the cot creaked.

I listened for any movement on the other side of the door, and when the cot fell into silence once more, I put all my weight on my feet, lengthening my steps and walking slowly to avoid making noise on the floor.

I waited to test the doorknob, incapable of remembering whether or not it was loud when Colby twisted it. To my surprise, the idiot left the door unlocked.

"Haha loser," I whispered, twisting the knob and pulling the door into the room, making sure it swung open slowly but not so slow that it made noise.

I poked my head out of the room, followed by my body. I couldn't see any of the boys, none of them in sight. I had already assumed that they would have chosen the luxury of sleeping in a bed, and I was right.

As quickly as possible, I walked to the front door. I had to be quiet until I shut the door behind me and once I was outside, I had to run as far and as fast as possible.

Which is what I did. The second the door was closed, and I was on the porch, barefoot might I add, I ran down the stairs and down the gravel driveway. That slowed me down quite a bit, my feet sensitive to the rocks sticking up and poking at my feet.

When I got to the street, which like Colby said, was in the middle of nowhere, I had two options: left, or right.

I didn't know which one was more sensible, so I turned left, running on the road instead of the grass where there were sticks and dirt that would cake my feet and make me feel disgusting and discourage me from going any further.

The only thing I knew about what time it was was that it was dark outside, and there wasn't a car in sight. Nothing to light up the road made my journey difficult, only being guided byweak moonlight, but once my eyes adjusted I was okay.

I couldn't run very long due to not having enough stamina and running on the road turned out to be dummer than running in the dirt. The pavement was hard, with tiny pebbles littering it that would catch on my feet and scrape my toes.

I slowed down after a short time, where I could look back and not see the house I was held in. That's when I moved off into the dirt, staying close to the treeline just in case someone came driving by.

I could try to convince them to let me get into their car, or I could hide until I found a town. There were no signs indicating how far away the next town was, and even if there was one I probably wouldn't be able to read it in the dark.

I didn't know how I could get home, either. What would I say, I didn't know the boys' last names, and to my benefit they didn't know mine. Like Colby said, I would be accused of the murder of my grandfather.

Even if it wasn't true, what would the police believe? The justice system was fucked up anyway.

Colby, Jake, Sam and Corey were four perfect examples as to why.

Out of nowhere, I heard the roaring of an engine, and I turned to see a pair of headlights, and the vehicle slowing down once the driver saw me.

By now, I had crossed the street so I couldn't see the driver. That was mistake number one. The second mistake was stopping to see who it was.

The car's headlights shut off, and I could hear the shutting of the car door and footsteps.

"You really thought you could run away, huh?" A familiar, cold voice quietly echoed.

The first thing I tried to do was run away, taking off down the middle of the road. But Colby was faster, grabbing me from behind and throwing me around so we were now heading back to his car.

"I'll have to give you credit for escaping. You messed up, though." His tongue clicked the top of his mouth when he spoke, and I was confused until he elaborated, "You left the closet door open when I came downstairs to get some water,"

"Oh," Was all I could say, I mean, what else was I supposed to say? I messed up.

"Yeah, oh," He mocked, and to my surprise he sat me in the passenger seat.

"You know," He said, putting the childlock on the door before shutting it so I couldn't get out as he walked around to the other side of the car.

He came alone, and I didn't know if he would make fun of me in front of the others because my plan didn't work.

"I've underestimated you," He finished as he sat back in the driver's seat, "I'm not mad, I'm actually impressed,"

I didn't know whether to believe him or not because his expression was emotionless, matching his tone.

"This might sound like a stupid thing to ask, or at least ask now. But what is your name, love?" He looked over at me as he pulled a definitely illegal U-turn to go back in the direction of the house he had me trapped in.

"Don't call me that," I snapped at him, crossing my arms.

"Look," he began, his tone roughening as he glared at me, "I call you what I want, okay? "Love" is what I went with, so deal with it. Now, what's your name?" He repeated.

"Why should I tell you?" I asked with an obvious tone, "You hate my guts for no reason, and treat me like shit. I don't know if I want you to know my name," I said half honestly.

"Maybe then I won't kill you if I have a name for the face," He lifted the center console, and I looked down to see something shiny.

A gun.

"Kiara," I stuttered before clearing my throat and repeating myself, "I'm Kiara,"

"Pretty name for a pretty woman," He flirted, and I found not one trace of a smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks,"

"No, really. You think we kidnapped you cause you got a brain? I mean, I know you do now," He added when I reached for the gun myself. He knows I wouldn't shoot him. Hell, I wouldn't shoot anyone, even if they kidnapped me.

"One more thing," He added as we pulled back into the driveway of the house I was growing to hate, "When we get back to California, it's best if you don't tell people we kidnapped you,"

"What? Why?" I asked in disbelief. I knew why, and he didn't have to say it. If he lived with other people like I assumed he did and I told them I was only there because he and his friends kidnapped me, then I would be watched like a hawk.

And I didn't want to be watched if I needed to get home without their help.

But for now, I promised myself to earn their trust. Starting tonight.

"Okay. I'll behave. No more running away or doing stupid shit," I promised, and for the first time ever I thought I saw a hint of something close to joy flash in his eyes.

Or my mind was playing tricks on me. I couldn't tell.

[a/n: thank you for checking out the first couple chapters of the story!  Vote and comment so I know you like the story and want me to keep updating!]