8

Jake and Tara led the way out of the house, everyone following which left me in the back. Once I realized they were all deep in their own conversations an idea popped into my head. What if I was to run?

They wouldn't shoot me, right? And being that they're all in fancy clothes, nobody would be able to follow me. But I was also in nice clothing that limited my movement ability.

I didn't know where I'd go and surely they would follow me quickly, but it would be worth a shot. The gate was right there, and on the other side of that was freedom.

I unsuspiciously shuffled to the right edge of the group, and I waited until Colby was getting ready to get into the limo before I slipped off my shoes. My heart was pounding as I took off, the straps of my shoes hooked around my fingers as I ran for the gate.

I didn't hear anyone shout until I jumped, my skirt thankfully not riding up as my hands hooked onto the top of the fence. It was probably only seven feet tall, and it wasn't hard for me to lift myself up and swing my legs over it in a ladylike fashion, being that I was a gymnast and had the upper body strength and I had the ability to jump rather high for how short I was.

"Seeya fuckers!" I shouted as I dropped to the ground, grabbing the shoes that I threw before running down the sidewalk.

I didn't know where to go, or how to get anywhere. I didn't know how Ubers worked, or taxis for that matter. I didn't have money, food, warm clothing, or any friends in California to help me out.

The street was quiet, and the second I heard a car's engine I ducked down the nearest alleyway. I didn't stop until I got behind the dumpsters, and I took a peek around it as the engine got louder.

In fact, the car I heard was the limo. The windows were up but it was going incredibly slow. Obviously, since I shouted, they noticed I wasn't there anymore. Which was my fault, since I thought it would be a good idea to announce my departure in such a fashion.

I stayed behind the trash can for who knows how long, leaning against the building wall and pulling my knees to my chest. I was beginning to shiver after the sunlight stopped filtering in between the buildings, I was getting hungry seeing as I didn't eat much besides a granola bar today, and I could start to feel the makeup dry on my skin, mostly around my eyes.

It was when I heard police sirens I stepped out of my safe spot and walked down the street. I had no idea where I was going, or what direction Colby's house was in. Surely they were still out partying so if I was to make my way past their house I wouldn't get caught.

I knew I took the wrong way when I saw a very familiar gate, the one I jumped over earlier to escape. My feet were sore and I was half tempted to run inside just because that was the only place I knew.

I couldn't do that, though. I could never go back there. I was free now, and I was enjoying it. Sort of.

I turned around, walking longer than I did the first time. I didn't stop until I got to a bus stop, a shelter in its own way.

Nobody was there besides an older man, most likely homeless based on his looks. I sat on the bench as far away from him as possible.

"Why," His tongue clicked, and I looked over at his dark complected body, "What's a pretty girl like you doing all sad? You should be out partying," He added with a pout.

He didn't sound like a creep, but instead sympathetic. Back home I would have just ignored someone like that, but I felt the urge to talk to him, so I did.

"I ran away," I gulped, holding myself in a way of comfort.

"Ran away?" He repeated in disbelief, "You don't look like the type to still be living with your parents, and I don't recognize you as one of the boss's kids,"