16

I stayed with Colby the entire night. 

It was hardly ten o’clock when Colby began nodding, and I could see he was clearly trying his best not to fall asleep.

“Colby, maybe I should go-” I began quietly, but he cut me off.

“No, no.  It’s fine, I’m fine,” He mumbled, 

I let out an unamused chuckle, “You’ve been falling asleep for the past fifteen minutes.  You should go to bed. I’ll get the boys to help you get to your room,”

We were still on the floor in his office, him laying on his back and me sitting to face him.

“No, I’ll be alright.  Just, help me up please?” I felt slightly victorious now that Colby was in such a state.  It made him vulnerable, and I know how much he hated that.

“Don’t look so smug,” He grunted as I got to my feet and grabbed his hands.  He managed to get up okay, the only thing giving away that he was in discomfort was the wince on his face when I tugged on his arms too hard.

“Sorry,” I apologized, trying my best to keep my eyes from looking at his chest that was still exposed.  Neither of us bothered to mention that it wasn’t buttoned, but I personally think it was more comfortable for him anyways.

He led the way down the hallway to his room, hovering his hand over his bandage as he walked.  I was quick to be beside him, making sure that he didn’t do anything to strain himself.

“This might seem awkward but I don’t mean it to be in any way,” He began, his words broken up due to his heavy breathing. Walking down the hallway was enough for him to already be pale once again, simply a mixture of exhaustion and stress, “But will you stay with me tonight?”

“I-” I went to cut him off but he stopped me by holding up his hand.

“If I need something or if something happens, I don’t know how quickly I’ll be able to do it,”  He shut his eyes, putting his index finger and thumb between his eyebrows.

I found myself nodding slowly, not really considering what that entailed.  Hopefully he had a couch or atleast a comfortable rug for me to lay on.

“Yeah, I’ll stay,” I said, trying my best not to show any negative emotion.  I was really looking forward to going to my bed and relaxing after sitting with him for so long, but I would have to push my selfish thoughts aside.

Colby wanted me around, or needed me so he claimed.  I didn’t know if that meant he just wanted me around because it’s convenient or this was just one big scam to get me into his room.

“Thank you,” An appreciative grin appeared on his face as I reached for the doorknob.  I’ve never been in Colby’s room before, though if he wasn’t in the office, he was hiding in his room by himself.

I turned around, offering my arm to Colby to use if he needed the support.  He turned it down with a wave of his hand, making his way over to his bed.

His bed, along with his room, was dark and kind of creepy.  I didn’t like the dark, living here has made me wary of it.  There was something about it that made me feel like someone was watching me, and it sent chills down my spine.