Chapter 6

"Alalia!!" Destiny yelled as she pounded on my door. I quickly got out of bed, my mom was still asleep next to me. I woke mother up and ran to the door. "What Destiny." I whined "it's 2 in the morning!" Destiny looked at me "The patrols are going around to everyone and telling them amazing news! We might have a chance to go to the city!" I couldn't believe this. I can't live in the city. No one can. We are growers and the patrols tell us we will always stay growers. "Sorry I woke you, but I wanted to give you a heads up. I'm going to let the patrols explain it to you." She said and winked. I watched her run down the dirt path that led to the road and disappear into the morning fog.

I knew the real reason she couldn't explain it. No one can be outside until 4:00am. If your caught wandering about before, the patrols think your trying to escape. And you could get in big trouble.

There was a knock at the door at 3:30am. Mother ran and opened the door and two patrols walked in. "Are you Mrs. Caroline?" The patrol on the left asked. "Yes, sir" she replied. "Well, we must inform you that we have a shortage of experimenters in the city, and we have a lot of growers. So we just want you to know we will be selecting 3 growers to move into the city to become experimenters. So please don't be alarmed if you see lots of patrols walking around." How the patrol talked scared me a little. You could tell they were trying to me nice, but inside they hated us. Everyone in the Domain hated growers. I still don't know why.

That day, I kept on with my usual work. Other growers were trying to impress the patrols. But because they were, they kept making mistakes on where they planted the seeds or where they cut the crop. Some even accidentally hurt the animals as well. Destiny came over to my house while I was filling up a bucket with water from the well. She watched me as I brought the bucket of water over to a small pine tree sapling and watered it. "So...." Destiny said. I looked at her. "I have noticed so many people messing up in the fields today. I just know I'm not going to get picked so I'm not even trying to impress them." I said. Destiny replied. "Me too. Why would I get picked? There are hundreds of other growers to chose from. I've just been minding my own business." A patrol came over to Destiny and told her she should get back to work. She obeyed and ran back to her house.