Chapter 8

"Oh that's just great. I only have a few days to pack and say goodbye to my friends." I pouted and plopped down onto the bed. "So, you don't want to go?" Mother said to me with some disappointment in her voice. "Not really. At least not without you or Destiny." I complained. Mother sighed and went back to her knitting. "Go to sleep, now. You need some rest." She told me as she headed downstairs.

I woke up at 10:00 the next morning. I was going to go over to Destiny's house to say goodbye, but she would probably be in her barn working. Mother was in the kitchen making some breakfast. Which was of course, oatmeal. "Good morning, Alalia." She said with a smile as she continued cooking. "Why aren't you in the fields?" I asked. Mother looked at me and smiled. "They told me I could have today off because you are leaving tonight." I looked at mother, shocked. "Tonight? I thought the note said tomorrow night?!" I yelled. I grabbed my bag and starting packing things. I packed a blanket, a portrait of my mother and I, and the wooden box. I also packed the gift Destiny gave me and I hid my bow under the blanket. This is the first time I have every realized that these are the only belongings I own.

I went back to the kitchen and mother asked me what I packed. She gave me my oatmeal while she went through the bag. Mother took out the old blanket that was torn and put in the one she was sewing last night. "You need a warmer blanket, and one that is homemade." She told me, smiling.

During the afternoon, I went outside. Not to the fields, but to what my mother and I call our "Backyard". It's really just a patch of grass behind our house. But we have our well there too. I sat down in the grass and listened to the birds chirping. I would miss the countryside, not the working involved. But just being outside made me feel so happy.

At about 6:30pm, there was a loud knock on my door. Mother went to open it. Three patrols stood outside our door and let themselves in. "We are here to get, Alalia." One of the patrols said to my mother. Mother gave them a sad nod and called for me to come upstairs. When I got upstairs, I grabbed my bag. I made sure everything was there, then I went to say goodbye to mother. The patrols smiled at me and motioned for me to follow them. "I will miss you mother, I don't want to leave." I said, hugging her. "Alalia, your going to go. I don't want you to grow up being a grower your whole life. No matter what you say, you are going. You have to." She said hugging me tightly. "I love you, Alalia." I stepped out of my home and followed the patrols down the driveway. Mother blew me a kiss and I could tell that she was crying. Tears rolled down my cheeks as well.