Snowed In [7]

Someone was pushing at him.  

Amos groaned as a sharp elbow jabbed him in the stomach, and he hugged the warm body closer. The man shouted something, and Amos woke up, gasping as the strong man struggled in his grip. It took about point two seconds before he figured it out.  

Sutton. He was having a nightmare.  

Below him, the man had broken out in a sweat, his face literally gray. His body squirmed against Amos, and he held Sutton tighter. He pressed Sutton back into the couch, using all of his body, and locked them together.  

Sutton whimpered. "No. Stop. Stop. It hurts!" 

"Shh..." He shook Sutton, kissing his forehead and everywhere on his face. "Sutton, come on, babe. Wake up. Please. Wake up." 

The man shivered, tried to twist around, but Amos kept him pressed against him. Sutton finally woke up, gasping and sobbing. Wide, brown eyes were wild, looking everywhere around them. Never in his life had he seen such terror in a man's eyes before.  

"A-Amos?" His voice shook, and he gazed up into his eyes.  

"You're okay, Sutton." He rubbed the man's back. "You're okay." 

"I'm sorry. Sometimes, I get these dreams and-" 

"Don't apologize. I don't know what happened, but you should never apologize for something like that." 

Sutton didn't say anything, just pressed himself against Amos. They stayed quiet for so long that Amos wondered if the man had fallen asleep again, but he could tell by the sharp, fast pace of the man's heart beat that he was still awake.  

"Do you..." He licked his lips. "Do you wanna tell me what happened?" 

"I've never told anybody before." 

"Oh, sorry. We can just-" 

"But I think you should know. You deserve to know." 

He tightened his hold on Sutton and waited.  

"I was just a sophomore," he whispered, "real scrawny, no girlfriends. Ever. Ya know...I'd always known I was different than the other boys in school. But I'd never really known I was gay until I met Brent. It was at homecoming, and I was in back of the gym, underneath the bleachers, just hiding until it was late enough to walk home. And that's when he found me. 

"He was a senior. Tall, muscled, had just come down from somewhere in Quebec. We sat under those bleachers, just talking until the very last minutes of the dance, and then, he kissed me.  We went into the janitor's closet - don't ask me how he got that door unlocked - and he blew me. Nobody had ever made me feel like that before.  

"He told me he'd see me at school and then left. After that, he'd hang around my locker, and at first I really, really liked it. All the attention. We'd talk about everything. We started to hang out, kissed a lot, and explored a lot. Honestly, I thought I was in love with him.  

"But then he started getting kinda weird. When I really think back on it, he was so possessive. It wasn't even a protective thing. He was just...I don't know, jealous all the time. He got so angry whenever I talked to other guys - or even girls, for that matter. I remember one night we fought, and he hit me. My mom didn't know. She was too sick. And my dad...if he was home, he'd go around the house, looking for something to pawn so he could go buy whatever he was hooked on and then leave.  

"Brent apologized, said he'd never do it again, and like an idiot, I believed him. We got back together, did some stuff. He wanted to do something special on our one-month anniversary. So he got a hotel room, lit the place up with candles, no flowers or anything, but it was sweet, and I knew what he wanted." Sutton cleared his throat and looked away. "Only, I couldn't do it. He wasn't even that big, but I just...couldn't. I told him to stop, and then he got mad again, started to hit me."