The Teacher [7]

Austin stared down at his phone. He'd refreshed the page at least a hundred times, looking to see if the semester exam grade had been put in for Biology. So far, no luck. He debated on whether or not he should text Mr. McCallum to see what he'd got, but then chickened out. It was four whole days since the older man had given him his number; yet, Austin couldn't get the courage up to shoot the guy a quick text.

As he walked to his last class – and last semester exam he'd ever have to take in high school – he reviewed a little in his notes. This class he didn't have to worry about, but he figured he had to distract himself somehow.

He hit the circle spinny thing at the top of the tab one more time, only to see that it was the same. The rest of his exams he hadn't cared about. His grades were at solid letters. Nothing could really lower them. Biology was the one that was the make or breaker in his staying on honor roll.

His eighth period teacher walked into the classroom a few minutes later, closing the door behind him and locking it. Everybody was in their seats, chattering mouths now gone quiet. Excitement buzzed around the room. They'd be out of here soon, in a little over an hour.

The tests were handed out, and they began. He had a solid B in this class. As he went through the questions, he felt okay. It wasn't like it mattered anyway. He just wanted to get on his phone. Austin thought about texting Mr. McCallum again, and the hand holding the pencil got sweaty.

He circled the last few multiple choice questions, barely reading through them before getting up and placing the test into the tray. His other teacher didn't pick up his head from where he was grading other tests. It was completely unlike Mr. McCallum, who took the test, flipped through it to make sure all the questions were answered, and then gave students a fist bump or high five.

In his desk, Austin felt uncomfortable. He couldn't stop fidgeting. He watched, one by one, as people put their tests in the tray. Everybody was smiling. He was happy, too, but he'd be even happier once he found out his grade. Once he got to see Mr. McCallum again. Get to touch him. Feel that heat spread through his body because they were right for each other.

His heart beat wildly in his chest. When the bell rang, it picked up an even more out of control tempo. Announcements were made, nothing important, just commending them on a great school year. As soon as they were over, he whipped out his phone, went to SnapGrade, and logged in.

He closed his eyes, debating on just setting his phone down and waiting. He didn't want to be disappointed. But he couldn't just not know. Austin opened one eye and wanted to scream.

He'd gotten an A- on the exam. It'd boosted his grade up to a solid B. He was still on honor roll. He got the gold tassels.

An A-.

He owed it all to Mr. McCallum.

Feeling light-headed, like he was about to implode, Austin threw away the only thing he'd brought to class – a single, No. 2 pencil, and all but sprinted into Mr. McCallum's classroom. The man wasn't behind the desk in the front of the room. Austin turned to his office. Saw the lights were on.

Austin didn't bother knocking. He pushed right through that door, heard the piano music, and turned to the man who'd once been his teacher. But after yesterday's exams, he could see him as just another guy. But not just some man. Mr. McCallum was the man who he'd fallen for. Hard.

“Austin.” Mr. McCallum smiled. He stood up from his computer chair. His shirt was tucked into his pants. His legs were long. His arms were muscled. His eyes were blue. He was perfect. Absolutely perfect. And Austin wanted to feel all that perfect against him.