The Teacher [2]

Austin couldn't believe it. He'd gotten a B+. Not just a B, but a B+. It was by far his highest quiz grade so far, his entire senior year in Biology. It wouldn't raise his grade by much, but the fact that his studying had finally paid off made him want to throw his fist in the air and just shout. Sure, other people were disappointed with B+'s but Austin wasn't one of those people.

His excitement must have been evident because he felt eyes on and when he looked up, Mr. McCallum was staring at him, a small smile on his face. He looked proud of him, and that made Austin unbelievably happy. Even more happy than when he'd seen Mr. McCallum in the stands last Friday, cheering him on along with the rest of the crowd after one amazing play where he dove and caught a hit that had come too close to the pitcher's mound.

It may be the end of the year, and this quiz wouldn't raise his grade any, but he couldn't stop smiling as another lecture was taught. He tried taking notes, but like the days before, it proved almost impossible. So, he set his pen down, imagined Mr. McCallum directing that proud look at him everyday and waited for the lunch bell to ring.

“There'll be a test this Thursday. Study guides will be available on the back table after school.”

Austin didn't care. He was too excited. If he'd done that well on the quiz, then he could only imagine what he'd get on a test. Maybe another B+. Put that on the refrigerator at home, look at it during his family's dinners, rub in his littler, smarter sister's face that he could get decent grades, too. Probably never like her straight A's, but still.

“Want me to go pick ya up a study guide?” Peter asked, after lunch.

Austin shook his head. There was no way he'd miss one of his last chances to be alone in a room with Mr. McCallum. “No, that's alright. Thanks, though.”

After school, he put all his books into his backpack, and headed down to Mr. McCallum's room. He had about fifteen minutes before he had to be in the weight room. By the time he was in the classroom, most of the study guides had already been taken. All except for about three. He took one and put it into the binder in his backpack. If he had any chances of getting a somewhat decent grade on the test, he had to do the study guide tonight and study hard until the day of.

Mr. McCallum's office was in the back, and the light was on, the door partly open. He heard soft piano music coming from it and couldn't help but smile to himself. Who would've thought that big, macho Mr. McCallum liked listen to soft, classical piano and violins?

Austin had half the mind to go in there, maybe start up a little bit of a conversation, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. He may be a senior in high school, but he didn't have that type of self-confidence that the rest of his classmates seemed to have.

After taking one last look at Mr. McCallum's barely opened office door, he headed down the hall, changed in the locker room, and went back down to the weight room. It was the same old stuff, and just like last Thursday, his teacher came down to the weight room.

And just like last Thursday, he helped Mr. McCallum stretch and spotted him while he squatted. They didn't talk much, but Austin felt calm, not needing to fill up the void with any awkward conversation. It was like a silent companionship had been built, within just a few days.

It was an easier practice tonight, because they'd won the game last Friday. He'd be pitching again this Friday, and that would be the end of the season for them all.

“You up for it?” his coach asked him. “Three innings and then short stop?”

Austin smiled. He loved short stop, a lot more than he loved pitching. His arm didn't hurt like a bitch after, and he could make so many more plays. There was nothing like diving to catch a power hit ball. “Sounds good, coach.”

In the locker room, he showered, making sure to scrub himself clean. He'd made sure to park right next to Mr. McCallum's SUV this morning when he'd driven to school this morning. And if he was lucky – something that rearely happened – he'd get to see the man again today.

He found his little sister, Rachel, with her boyfriend – a skinny guy who'd undoubtedly be gone within the month – listening to the guy talk. His little sister was a man-killer. He hated that she dated so much, but he knew his little sis never did anything stupid with guys. She usually dumped them in a few weeks, because she got bored with them so easily.

“C'mon, kiddo.” He clapped her on the back. “Let's head out.”

Austin made it a point to stare at Skinny Guy, looking right into mousy brown eyes. As a senior who played varsity in football, basketball, and baseball – basically the triple threat when it came to high school – he was pretty well-known around the school. They weren't big, but Rachel was only a sophomore, and he'd never taken to learning underclassmen's names.

“I'll see ya later, Trent.” Rachel waved goodbye, following him out the school doors before punching him in the arm. “You really couldn't act normal for once?”

“What?” He laughed. “That was normal. Holding eye-contact is a normal thing. It's not my fault he's too chicken.”

They were silent as they walked through the parking lot, Austin trying as discreetly as possible to look for Mr. McCallum and Rachel texting on her phone. No luck. His teacher was nowhere in sight. He didn't let that deter him, though. Instead, he jumped into the truck, revved the engine, and drove home, content to think about Biology and how he could impress Mr. McCallum with a good grade.

At home, he dumped his sweaty gear in the mudroom, toed off his shoes, and went straight to the kitchen. His mom already had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made for him. He ate with vigor, his stomach grumbling even more when he smelled what was cooking on the stove.

“Spaghetti alright with you, kids?” his mom asked as she mixed the meat sauce in a pan.

Austin gave her a thumbs up from the kitchen table but kept his eyes glued to his book. He had about a quarter of the study guide filled out, but already, his eyes were beginning to burn. He pushed the book away before closing his eyes and resting his head in his hands.

He stayed like that until his dad came home, the front door squeaking as it usually did. A big hand clapped him on the back, and he almost jumped right out of the kitchen table chair. When he looked up, he saw his dad smiling at him.

“Hey,” Austin said.

“How was school?”

He shrugged, trying not to act as excited as he felt when he thought about it. “I got a B+ on a Bio quiz. Best quiz grade yet.”

“And your other classes?”

“All good.” His other honors courses he was getting by with either A's or B's – just good enough that he would be on honor roll. But if even just a single one of his grades dropped a letter, he'd just barely miss the cut and wouldn't get the gold tassles on his graduation hat or his name in the academic honors book.

They ate dinner with a relative, comfortable quiet that he'd become accustomed to with his family. His dad always made sure to eat quickly, something he'd learned when he was younger growing up with ten other brothers and sisters, while his mom and Rachel ate slowly. He, just like his dad, forked up food fast, taking seconds and then thirds until he felt like he had enough energy again to tackle that study guide.

But, after washing the dishes and cleaning up, when he got around to it, it was like his brain had shut off. He couldn't focus. But the test was two days away, so he'd be okay if he finished the homework due tomorrow now and finished the guide tomorrow. He had time.