Chapter 6

Carmen's POV

"She's ready,"

I swallowed a lump in my throat and walked inside slowly.

Her limp body was laying on her bed, the blankets pulled just over her waist. There was dark circles under her eyes and she looked exhausted.

"My baby boy, come." She croaked.

I sat down on the chair next to the bed. The doctor left.

"How are you feeling?" I asked shakily.

"Don't focus on me, let's talk about you. How are prom preparations going?" Her eyes lit up.

I looked down at my clammy hands.

The light faded from her hazel eyes. "It's ok. I know it's a lot to think about. Thinking of asking anyone?"

I smiled. "I don't know. There is this one girl but I don't think she likes me,"

She put a frail hand on my cheek. "I'm sure any girl would be glad to have my Carmen."

She started coughing, it was soft at first, but then the doctor had to come in it was getting so bad. I couldn't stand to see her like this. I walked out and curled up on the floor in the hall.

And I cried.

***

Ella's POV

The moment I got home from school the day of prom, I got to work.

I scrubbed the stairs, made the party hor d'ourves, put up the streamers, and everything in between.

"Ella! You need to curl my hair!"

"No! Mine first! And I need you to zip my dress!"

I tied the last clump of balloons together and went upstairs.

Delia and Anya's room was one of the largest in the house, at least the size of our massive kitchen, it was also one of the messiest. Makeup, clothes, shoes, homework and a bunch of other junk littered the floor and beds. Every Sunday I had to clean their room, but every Monday morning, somehow it always managed to go back to being messed up.

Delia turned towards me. "Ella! Me first!"

I went over to Delia's side of the room. Her makeup was already on, which consisted of way too much blue eyeshadow, two bottles of foundation, a puff of blush, and bright pink lipstick, she looked like a clown.

"I want you to curl the ends up slightly and tease it so there is a bit more volume." She demanded.

I picked up the curler on her makeup table and pulled a piece of her black hair, it felt greasy.

"Delia, when is the last time you showered?" I was scared for the answer.

"Mom says that when your hair is dirty, it holds curls better, I've been going without one for a week."

I almost threw up but pushed myself to keep going. I did what she said (then washed my hands) then I was off to Anya.

"Zip up my dress," She was wearing a pink, sparkly ball gown with capped bubble sleeves. If you ask me, it was a little much.

I tried to zip it up, but it's like she got it two sizes smaller than she actually is. The zipper wouldn't go up three inches.

"Anya, this dress is too small,"

"I know. That's why I bought it. It will make me look thinner. I could zip it at the store." The store, which she went to four days ago, she has had a lot of donuts since then.

"Just try!"

I sighed and yanked up the zipper while Anya sucked in her stomach. After much effort, I finally got it to go up all the way. Anya sighed and I heard a quiet rip.

"It's fine," She said quickly. She sat back down at her table. "Now the makeup," she grumbled.

Anya didn't usually wear makeup, usually mascara and a light layer of foundation.

I put my hands on her shoulders and narrowed my eyes at her reflection in the mirror, deciding what to do. I spun the chair around and got to work, dusting, dabbing, drawing, and everything in between. When I was finished, I spun her back around. Her mouth dropped open.

I had put on a light layer of foundation, a subtle pink eyeshadow to match her dress, rosy blush to highlight her cheek bones, and finally, I dusted her face with glitter.

"I look....." she couldn't close her mouth.

"You look beautiful," I smiled. "Now I have to go get ready," I still had two hours until we had to leave. Then I heard the doorbell ring downstairs.

"Ella!"

I went downstairs and answered it. Mia stood before me, a dress bag in her hands. She looked distressed.

"I need help," she invited herself in.

"What's up?" Mia and I talked sometimes, but I wouldn't consider us close friends.

"What does Jack like? I can't decide between these two dresses,"

"Come upstairs, we will decide then," I hope this wouldn't take long, I needed to get ready.

"So what's up?" I asked once we got into my room.

"Ok, this dress," she uncovered a blue, sparkly gown with spaghetti straps, "Or this," The next dress was a green ball gown with a ruffled trim, it complimented her green eyes.

"The green one,"

"Do you think Jack will like it?"

"I think Jack would like it even if you were wearing a paper bag,"

She smiled. "What are you wearing?"

I sighed and opened my minuscule closet. "Well...."

"Ooo! That's pretty!" She pointed to the pink dress that used to be my mother's.

"Yeah, but it's not my size and I feel like it isn't prom worthy,"

She started laughing. Why was she laughing? "Honey, get me some needle and thread, I have a dress to make."