Chapter 18

Carmen's POV

The sound seemed to drone on forever. I thought the machine broke. It was malfunctioning. This couldn't be happening. I just sat there blinking in disbelief. Ella sobbed into my shoulder, my dad ran out of the room, and I was stoic. She was supposed to watch me graduate, she was supposed to watch me get married, she was supposed to have grandchildren.

Tears sprung into my eyes and I didn't try to hold them back. I wrapped my arms around Ella and cried into her shoulder. The nurse came in and turned off the monitor.

"Time of death, three thirty two pm."

I had always hoped I would never hear those words. A few nurses shooed us out of the room so they could take care of her body. We headed into the waiting room and continued our mourning there. It took us a whole five minutes until we could finally calm down, even then I began pacing around the waiting area, trying to blow off steam, kicking the wall each time I came to it.

"Carmen, calm down-" Ella sniffed.

"No! Don't tell me to calm down!" I flipped over a chair and crouched onto the ground, my head in my hands. Ella looked scared.

"Let's just go home. Let's get away from here. Your dad can handle the rest,"

I fell against the wall and cried again, Ella came over and put her small arms around me, they felt like my mom's. I cried even harder. Everyone in the waiting room stared at us, the teenagers crying in the corner. I finally worked up the strength to go out to my car, Ella slid behind the wheel.

"It's ok to be sad. It's ok. Just let it out, but don't hurt anyone."

***

Ella's POV

It's been a week since Carmen's mom died, he hasn't been coming to school. The funeral was a few days ago, I paid my respects. Carmen hasn't talked to me much, except for me dropping off work for him.

"Ella!" It was strange to hear that voice calling to me after two weeks. I hesitantly went downstairs. She was wearing her pink fuzzy bathrobe in the kitchen.

"Yes?" I asked from the doorway.

"Come sit down." She patted the seat next to her. I obeyed.

She smiled and petted my hair. What was going on?

"You look just like your mother."

"Thank you. I have been told that-"

"Mommy and daughter," She gave me an awkward side hug. Was she talking about herself? "So I have heard that you are dating Carmen, is that so? Carmen Prince, of Prince Industries?"

"I know exactly what you want, and the answer is no."

She frowned. "Dear, I haven't even said anything."

"I know you want to marry his dad now. I know you want to get rich off of him because we are losing money. But I won't let you do the same thing you did to my father," I took a deep breath. "I have been thinking about it, and I want you to pay more attention to me. Treat me like your real daughter. Let's face it, we are stuck together, might as well make the best of it," I stuck out my hand. "Truce?"

She smiled. It wasn't a sneer, or an evil grin, it was a smile. She took my hand and shook it. "Truce."

***

I bounced on my heels as I waited for Mrs. Goldman to answer the door. It opened quicker than I thought and her old figure was standing behind me, her bright smile on her face. The smell of baking cookies wafted outside.

"She said yes!" I held out my arms and she took me into a hug.

"Oh darling, that's great!"

"It feels so good knowing I don't have to clean the gutters anymore."

She laughed her cute old lady laugh. "Come inside dear, I don't want you to get a sunburn."

We went inside and I slid into a wicker chair at her kitchen table as she took the cookies out of the oven, sliding me a glass of milk.

"How old were my parents when they got married?" I asked.

"Oh I don't know," she said as she handed me a plate of freshly baked cookies. "Young. Seventeen or eighteen? Why do you ask?"

I shrugged as I took a bite of the cookie. The truth was, I would marry Carmen in an instant. I really was in love. Never in my life could I imagine that I would be in love with Carmen Prince, and not just fantasizing over his royal hotness.

She sat down across from me. "I remember it like it was yesterday. She looked so beautiful, she barely wore any makeup. He was so happy. Their parents never came, they didn't approve of it. I danced with the reverend at the reception, boy, was he hot."

I giggled. I could get used to having her around.

Her smile disappeared and she got serious. "You aren't thinking about getting married yet, right? Because, Ella honey, it's a big decision and you shouldn't jump into things."

"No. I mean, yeah, it would be cool but I haven't even graduated yet."

She smiled. "Good." Her face turned serious again. "Now as you know, I am packing up to move into a senior citizen home."

My heart sank. I would still be able to visit her, but they wouldn't be next door visits.

"I have contemplated selling this beautiful home, but couldn't bring myself to do it." She took my hands in hers. "Ella, would you take care of my home until you are suitable to live in it?"

***

Another short chapter.... I'm really sorry, guys. The next two will be a lot longer than these.

Please, comment to me your outrages, or anything. Just tell me how the story is going. Any requests for the next book? You can message me too!

Don't forget to vote!

-RavenclawMaven1198