Chapter 20

I rushed onto the court but Jeremy and one of the refs held me back.

"Give him some air." The ref said.

"No. That's my boyfriend-"

"Ella." Jeremy said sternly.

I peered over their heads and tried to see what was happening. Tears stung my eyes. I waited nervously for about two minutes, murmurs spreading through the bleachers. Finally, the coach and Carmen's dad helped him up, his face pained. I pushed through Jeremy and the ref and over to Carmen to help him to the bench.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

He smiled weakly. "Better than a dog in a squirrel park."

I took his arm and helped him to the bench. He laid down and the coach held an ice pack up to his head.

I stayed with Carmen the rest of the game. They called a paramedic and found that, thankfully, he didn't have a concussion. We ended up winning the game, Carmen and I laughed about that later.

"Are you sure you are ok to go home?" I knew he would be ok in the care of his dad, but I didn't want to leave him.

"Ella, I'll be fine."

I bit my lip. "You're sure?"

He hugged me. "I'll be ok."

"Maybe I should stay with you for a few hours, your dad probably has other stuff to do and I don't want him to have to worry about cooking or anything."

"You're worried about him cooking?" Carmen chuckled. "Listen, if you wanted to stay over, you could've just asked."

My eyes widened. "Seriously? Like overnight?" I just meant for a few hours but that was even better.

He shrugged. "Why not? You're going to call me every second anyway."

I helped him into his car, he was still weak from being unconcious.

We made it to his giant house, which I had been to once before at his party. It looked different compared to the time I went. Quieter definitely, but it also seemed lonely. Sad and lonely. My footsteps echoed in the hallways, everything seemed dark, maybe it was just the grief that hung over the house.

Carmen brought me up to his bedroom. I was a little surprised at this.

"I'm sleeping on the couch, right?" I asked nervously.

He laughed. "Or one of the guest rooms, yes."

I helped him into bed and sat on his desk chair. His room was like any teenage boy's room, but simpler. I could tell the life of popularity and glamour was given to him, he never really wanted it.

"Thanks for staying."

I smiled. "I'll always stay."

We sat in silence for a few minutes.

"That boy tripped you on purpose." I finally said. I was still steaming with rage.

He shrugged. "It's not the first time it's happened. That team is notorious for being aggressive. None of the refs ever call it because once, they attacked a ref."

"People can be so ruthless."

He shrugged. "That's the world right? You've got good, and bad."

"Sadly, I get stuck with a lot of the bad."

***

"What movie is this?" I whispered to Carmen as he took a handful of popcorn.

"Insidious Chapter 3, Jack picked it out."

I watched as a terrified girl was dragged up a flight of stairs by a demon. Jack was smiling at the screen as Mia buried her head in his chest.

"Why did we let him pick again?" I asked as I took a sip of soda.

He shrugged. "Mia said he had good taste."

"Sorry I dragged you here." I mumbled.

"Nah, it's ok. As long as I'm with you." He lifted my chin with his fingers and kissed me gingerly. A scream sounded throughout the speakers and we jumped away, laughing.

The rest of the movie was as scary as the beginning. Carmen and I considered sneaking out to see Inside Out, but didn't want to let Mia down.

"Jack! You said that movie was a romantic comedy!"

His face turned bright red. "Well, the demons were in love with torturing the girl and um, I found it pretty funny." He giggled nervously.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Ella, I didn't know Jack was such an idiot." She shot him a look.

"Ice cream anyone?" Carmen said, changing the conversation. "I'll buy."

Ice cream seemed to chill Mia down, literally.

"You are amazing," I said to Carmen as I licked my chocolate ice cream. "Why do you have to be so amazing?"

He shrugged. "Maybe it's just because I'm around you."

****

Mia dragged me through the hall, I panted as I tried to keep up.

"Mia.....slow..... down....."

She skidded to a stop and focused on the poster on the wall.

Les Miserables Cast

Jean Veljean~James Carter
Javert~Quinn Lowell
Fantine~Ari Porter
Cosette~Ella Saunders
Marius~Carmen Prince
Madame Thénardier~Molly Jin
Théirnardier~Dave Scottie
Èponine~Mia Davis

"Is it weird that we are both in love with the same man?"

We laughed.

"You got Éponine! That's a great part!"

She frowned. "No softball for me."

I felt arms drape around me and turned to find Carmen behind me. He was smiling, so I was smiling.

His eyes scanned the list and he laughed. "Maybe I should go into theater."

I laughed and turned to face him, planting a kiss on his lips. His arms curled around my back and I tangled my fingers in his brown hair as he held my lips in his. Sparks seemed to fly within us, our passion swirling between each other.

"Now I know how you feel when Jack and I make out." Mia giggled.

I pulled away and leaned my head on Carmen's chest.

"Is that a challenge?" Jack suddenly came into the picture and dipped Mia, connecting his lips with hers, tongues flying this way and that.

"Ew," I giggled. The bell rang.

"Walk me to class?"

He held out his arm for me. "I would be honored."

I slipped my arm into his as we made our way towards the gym.

This was my happy ending.