~Chapter 3~

~An Unusual Encounter~
~~Syre~~

    "Syre" The young siren stared at the girl passing out in front of her. Maybe she had never seen a siren before? As Syre waited for a response from the beautiful girl, she noticed that the mesh mask over her face had fallen off when Syre had pulled her into the water. Syre could see a large black mark on the girl's face sparkling purple. Maybe they were water sensitive? The girl's face started to turn slightly blue and Syre realized that this girl was still human. Humans can't breathe underwater without a Heart.
    Syre started to panic, pulling the girl up to the surface. She took a deep breath before flapping her tail hard and propelling herself and the girl to the surface of the murky water. Syre pulled herself out onto the land with her arms, her tail dragging oddly behind her. She flipped herself onto her back and sat up, pulling the girl out of the water.
    "Sy what's going o-- Syre!" The small yellow axolotl waddled out of the water towards the strange duo.
    "I don't know what happened! I pulled it into the water to talk and it passed out!" Syre started to hyperventilate, bringing her tail up to her arms and wrapping her arms around it. Her wet hair hung uncomfortably down her back and her skin was strangely dry. Suddenly a strange feeling spread through her tail causing her to squeak slightly. She looked down and watched as her tail split apart and her scales retracted into skin. Syre gaped at her legs, looking at the girl's legs and then at hers.
    "Sy! You need to save it!" Syre snapped out of her shock and looked at Camilo.
    "How am I supposed to do that?"
    "We have seen humans do it before! You press on its chest and kiss it... I think? I don't know! Try it!" Syre's nose wrinkled slightly. She had never kissed anyone before, let alone a human. Syre pulled herself over to the girl, her legs dragging the ground behind her. She stopped over the girl and pulled her legs under her until she was in a sort of kneeling position. She placed her hands on the girl's chest and pressed gently. Nothing happened. She tried again, harder this time; a bit of water escaped the girl's mouth. Syre smiled, it seemed like it was working. She pressed hard again and braced herself for what she knew came next from what she had observed. She pulled her wet hair over her shoulder and leaned down.
    Her lips met those of the girl under her and her eyes fluttered shut. Slowly Syre pulled away and started to press on the girl's chest again, nothing happened. The girl was as still as a shell.
    "I thought I did it right!" Syre said, looking at Camilo.
    "Maybe you have to let it sit for a while?" Camilo suggested, rolling his eyes at the frantic siren. "What if you sing to me while we wait?" Syre sighed before leaving the body of the girl in the dying sun, her beautiful auburn hair fanned out on the sand and the water licking at her bare feet. Syre pulled herself back into the water, flinching as her legs knitted painfully back together and her scales reappeared forming her tail. She flapped her silver fin, propelling herself out to the rock she had been hiding behind before. She pulled herself up on top of it, being sure to leave part of her tail in the water so as to not have legs again.
    "What song do you want, Camilo?" She looked down at the small axolotl sitting next to her. He thought for a moment, staring out at the unconscious girl on the beach.
    "How about that no time for dying song?" Syre chuckled and looked down at him,
    "No Time to Die?" Camilo nodded his little head and looked back at the water. Syre moved her tail in the water, thinking, before her clear glass voice echoed off the cliffs.

    "I should've known
    I'd leave alone
    Just goes to show
    That the blood you bleed
    Is just the blood you owe

    We were a pair
    But I saw you there
    Too much to bear
    You were my life
    But life is far away from fair

    Was I stupid to love you?
    Was I reckless to help?
    Was it obvious to everybody else

    That I'd fallen for a lie?
    You were never on my side
    Fool me once, fool me twice
    Are you death or paradise?
    Now you'll never see me cry
    There's just no time to die"

    Syre lost herself in the song, her voice ringing in her own ears. She didn't notice the girl on the beach wake up. She didn't notice the girl sitting there, ogling the beautiful siren on the rocks, singing. She didn't notice the small axolotl leaving her side and swimming to the shore either.
    Syre's voice echoed along the cliffs as her voice faded out. As her eyes opened, she saw the girl sitting on the coast, her moty. Syre's eyes widened and she waved shyly. Before turning and diving into the water, letting herself sink to the ocean floor. She clutched her hands to her chest. Another human had seen her. She had sworn she would never let another human see her, ever since Nann...
    Nann had been a friend to her, taken care of her after she was lost. He had found her, taken her in. Fed her. They went on adventures together until he had to return to his kingdom. He was the first land dweller she had trusted. She fell asleep on his shoulder. Traveled the rivers of Kogarashi. He had betrayed her. He had tried to carve out her heart while she was asleep. She subconsciously looked down at her chest, tracing the long white scar with her fingers. Humans wanted the worst for her. They wanted to kill her for her heart. She would never let that happen.
    Her mouth set into a small frown and she flapped her tail, deciding then and there to keep an eye on this land creature, and to protect Camilo from whatever hurt it may lay upon him. She swam to a small cave on the side of the riverbed, she floated down and settled onto a rock, pulling her tail up between her arms.

    Syre had been living in the cave under the cliff for about a week. Observing the land creature from afar. She was strange. Staying inside during the day, walking around at night. She fed Camilo everyday although she seemed to avoid the water. The land dweller was strange. Syre awoke from her sleep, peeling open her eyes and glancing around the dimly lit cave, kelp grew from the ground and roots waved in the water, slowly pulling the nutrients into the plant's bark. The blonde haired siren stretched her tail out and waved it a few times before pushing herself off of the rock ledge she had been sleeping on and sinking to the ground. The small pieces of coral itched her tail as she swam leisurely towards the cave entrance.
    The wrap of seaweed around Syre's chest became loose in her sleep, so she pulled the strands in the back and tightened it, tying a knot in the back. She decided to go up on land and explore her legs again. Every day she had been creeping up onto land and testing out her legs, she was getting pretty good at crawling. The siren hummed a soft tune as she swam up to the surface, not bothering to look around as she knew the land dweller would be asleep.
    Syre crawled up onto the beach, bracing herself as her tail split apart and formed her legs. She moved them up and down a couple of times before grabbing a rock and steadying herself. She put one foot flat on the grass and pushed herself up, quickly replacing her hand with her other foot. She stuck her arms out and balanced for a moment before falling down on the ground. She growled and stood up again, this time letting go of the rock and letting herself fall forwards slightly and catching herself with her feet. She took a few steps before leaning on a tree. The ocean was many feet from her now and she gazed around the land in awe.
    The sun beat down on Syre's pale skin and she was thankful to reach the shade next to the cliff. She could no longer see the ocean now and she smiled. She wobbled from tree to tree, giggling at the sensation of her weight on her feet. Suddenly she heard the crunch of a stick and she whirled around, looking around frantically.
"Fro frab"

S/N: Hey Y'all sorry about the short chapters and things. We are trying to get these chapters out but y'know, life is a biotch. The song that Syre sings in this chapter is linked above, it is No Time to Die by Billie Eilish. This chapter was written by myself and edited by Forest. Lets get some support in the comments for Forest and all they are going through. <3
F/N: i know I got credited for editing this when I hardly had to, this was amazing writing as it was and I have to say a great thank you for Syres support, with what's going on with me at the moment is still sort of a mystery for them too but they have been so supportive and helped me loads, give them all the love