Meeting Erwin

Commander Erwin didn't want to press charges or have us executed.
None of us were sure what was going on, but we went along with him. Soon, we were enlisted in the boot camp for the three branches of the Military. Those branches were the Garrison, Military Police, and the Scout Regiment.
Levi, Furlan, Isabel, and I were the oldest Cadets in the training camp.

"So, you four are from the Underground." Section Commander Flagon looked at us with disgust. "Yes sir," said Furlan nervously.
"I know you've spent your entire lives living in a trash heap, but try to keep your barracks clean. We don't need more infestations." "What did you say?" Levi stepped towards the commander with a clenched fist. "Bold of you to talk to your superior like that you little punk." "Will we all get to stay in the same room?" Isabel asked hopefully. "Women sleep in a different building, just keep your barracks clean and don't bring in rats."

Commander Flagon left us stunned. "What a nice guy," I observed with sarcasm.
"Levi, you promised you wouldn't cause any trouble." Furlan said with wide eyes. "We all need to stay calm, because it's a trying time for all of us." I told my friends.
"He basically called us dirty," Isabel grumbled in a way that reminded me of a little girl not getting her way.

"He has no idea what we went through." Levi scowled. He was irritated and angry with our situation.

"Levi," I tried to calm him down as much as possible. He paced back and forth furiously as he exclaimed, "Why are we here? Why didn't we just kill the commander when we had the chance?" "Levi," I warned again. "WHY DID OUR LIVES HAVE TO BECOME A LIVING HELL?!" he screamed angrily.

"Levi!" I grabbed his hands to get him to stop pacing and to bring him back to the present, because he wasn't thinking clearly.

Taking a deep breath and looking at me, he exhaled. I saw the expression on my best friend's face at that moment. He looked broken, devastated and helpless.

"Killing the commander clearly wasn't meant to happen. Taking the life of another human being who hasn't done anything to us wasn't the right thing to do." I hugged him with all the love I could send him. Levi hugged me back, his strong embrace securing me.

"Commander Erwin saw something in all of us to not want to press charges and have all of us hanged for our crimes," I still had my arms around my best friend. I needed to be honest with my friends and say, "I don't want to continue this job." I was referring to our original plan to kill the commander and steal the documents.

"Why? We got ourselves captured for this." Furlan protested. "Yes, but is killing him really worth all this trouble?" I needed to help my friends listen to reason.
"She's right," Isabel said. Furlan and Levi looked at her with shock. "I mean, we're out of the Underground. Why not start a new life by doing something that benefits us?" she added. "We won't regret it." I told the boys. "We'll just find a different way to steal the documents."
Our training with ODM gear would begin.

And this would be the last time Levi and I would see Furlan and Isabel when we went out into Titan Country.

Tragedy awaits the Survey Corps when they get ambushed by a group of Titans. The terrifying ordeal will consist of lives lost, hope decreasing, and defeat.