Chapter 2

Present

The moment I stepped out of the airport my eyes wandered over the crowd of people. There were lots of family members picking up their loved ones. My brother was supposed to be among them.

The only problem was that I had no idea what he looked like. Ben didn't even tell me how old he was. How was I supposed to find this man? I sighed and put my bag down on my little suitcase. At least I traveled light. I had a few clothes in my closet that still fit me after three years of not being home. At least I had something to wear for now.

"Lyra?"

A voice brought me back to the pick up area of the airport. I looked up and saw a tall man in a suit looking down at me. I immediately noticed that he looked very put together. His dark hair was neatly controlled by some gel that still made his hair look soft but in place. His face was smoothly shaven and free of any blemishes. His eyes were like storm clouds that would make day look like night. He was wearing a dark suit. I had no idea about expensive brands but the way his suit fit made it clear that he didn't buy it from some middle class chain store.

I immediately felt silly standing in front of him in my old t-shirt, jogging pants and sneakers. They were all in a very worn down state with some holes in them, some people would probably throw them in the trash.

"Are you my brother?" I asked while looking everywhere but his eyes. I wasn't used to eye contact yet.

"Yes, my name is Alexander. It is nice to finally meet you. Although I am sorry it is because of these circumstances, my condolences for your mother." He said with a serious but sympathetic tone. It didn't ooze warmth or much comfort. It was clear to me that we both felt a little awkward with each other. However he must have known about me because he said that it was nice to finally meet me. So his father didn't leave him in the dark about a half sibling. My mom never even suggested that I could have siblings. She never liked to talk about my dad either.

"Thank you." I replied softly, hoping he wouldn't ask or say anything further about my mom.

Thankfully he didn't and just suggested that we headed to the house. His car was expensive too. I had no idea what kind of car it was but with a black shiny exterior that had organic lines and tinted windows that looked almost to dark to be legal. The interior largely consisted of leather and once I sat in the front seat it felt like the chair was hugging me form the back. Before I knew it we were out of the busy airport area and heading away from the city.

We didn't really talk much after the initial information was exchanged. I learned that I had four more brothers, all older than me. That was kind of a shock, I really thought that among five siblings that I would at least have one sister. This was going to feel so weird. For three years I wasn't even allowed to look at a boy let alone speak to them. How was I supposed to live with five of them?

We drove for about an hour before we reached a gate in the middle of the forrest. On both sides of the gate it continued into a high fence. I guess they didn't like trespassers. It opened automatically, how fancy. The driveway to the house was long, but after a couple turns the house finally appeared through the trees. It was enormous and so beautiful. It screamed generational wealth and upper class to me.

Alexander parked the car in an underground garage, where five more cars stood and two motorcycles. They all looked flashy and were certainly expensive. He led me out of the garage through a stairway that led into the house. The inside was just as beautiful as the outside. We passed big hallways with beautiful art and other decorations, climbed two sets of stairs until he stopped and opened a door. It was at the end of the hallway and I realized that just walking from the garage towards this door, it was the same distance starting from the outside of the old apartment building I grew up in to the third floor of my moms apartment.