Chapter 4

3rd person's POV
"Anne?"

The brunette looked up at them with watery eyes blocking her vision.

She had tried to blink them away and once her vision had somewhat improved, she saw Sprig staring at her with concern.

"S-Sprig?!" She said and quickly got up with a stumble as she frantically wiped away her tears.

She didn't want him to see her like this, but unfortunately for her, he had already seen her red puffy eyes.

His eyes full of sympathy reminded her of the frog she had encountered earlier, and that only seemed to make her cry more.

Sprig knew not to question anything, and that if Anne wanted to talk about it, she would.

So instead, he quickly hugged her as best as he could, but only seemed to hug her legs.

Anne let out a small laugh at that through her sobs.

But that laugh faded as quickly as it came, and she kneeled down to hug him back.

After a bit of hugging with the sound of Anne's sobs filling the air, the door had opened which made them pull away and look back.

They looked and saw Hop Pop which made Anne's eyes widen, and she quickly jumped up and wiped her eyes as best as she could.

Sprig nervously stood in front of Hop Pop.

"Hey! What're you doing?" He asked him.

The older frog narrowed his eyes at him in suspicion, and said. "Sprig, did you break something?"

He gaped at him as he felt genuinely offended.

"I can't believe you have such little faith for me, how dare." He said, and dramatically put his hand over his heart.

Hop Pop stared at him unimpressed, and while they were busy talking, Anne had managed to sneak pass without him noticing.

She sighed in relief as soon as she had got through the door, but once she had closed it, and let her guard down, someone else had seen her.

"Were you crying?" They had asked.

Anne jumped out of shock and looked at the person with wide eyes.

She had somewhat relaxed when she saw that it was Polly.

But then she tensed a little when she saw the slightly ticked off look on the tadpoles face.

"Uh... no?"

"Don't lie to me."

As much as it embarrassed Anne, this five year old truly did scare her at times.

"Okay, fine, I was!"

Polly looked satisfied for a second but her expression quickly turned serious again.

"Did someone make you cry?"

Anne avoided her eyes, as well as the question.

"I'm taking that as a yes." She said with a small sigh.

"Alright, was it Hop Pop? Sprig?"

Anne showed no signs of cracking but that changed once she said the two girls names that she was trying to avoid.

"Sasha? Marcy?"

Polly had noticed the sadness that had washed over Anne's face.

She hummed before turning around, which confused the brunette, and she followed her out of curiosity.

"Polly?" She muttered, but the other girl had ignored her.

The girl had entered a room while Anne stayed outside, once she had came back out though, she was holding a weapon that the brunette didn't even know she had.

Polly was holding a mace with a spike on it, and once Anne saw it her eyes widened.

"Polly, what are you gonna do with that?"

"Well, I've been needing for an excuse to use it, so, I figured this would be the time." She said casually, before walking past Anne and out of the house.

The brunette was stunned and stayed still for a second.

But she quickly ran after her once she realized Polly had a weapon and knew her best friends had made her sad.

Luckily, she didn't get far, as Hop Pop had stopped the tadpole before she could do anything and he took away the mace.

Anne breathed a sigh of relief, and decided to call it a day and go back in the house.

Unfortunately, she couldn't sleep because of lingering thoughts of her best friends.

To be continued...