Mother's Magic

***PLEASE READ-- Trigger Warning***

Chapter 20 of Mr.Carter's Maid contains some sexual harassment and assault content. Please take care before reading. If the content is too triggering, you can message me and I will send you a summary of what happened in this chapter without all the details!

FunShortsWeekly

As I retired to the Grand Hall, I felt like I was floating on air, not in a good way. It was like I was fearful that gravity would show up again, making sure I came crashing down to hit the ground, hard! I tried to ignore the feeling and went to Anna to take over my job. I needed something to distract me, and what was better than showing rich people to their booze and meat.

I didn't even realize when the event started. It wasn't until Anna pulled me away from the front table that I discovered I was done working for the night.

"Oh... Did you give Adam his speech cards?" She asked as we walked to our back table.

His name. I didn't want to hear it right now! "I think he already...."

"Are you talking about the index cards?" Natasha chimed in when she heard us. "Adam got it from the room."

"What was he doing in our room?" Anna cautiously asked.

"Chloe was hiding out there. I told him to go up there to get his speech so she could surprise him. She wasn't supposed to be at the gala." Natasha explained. Of course, after such a romantic gesture, one deserved sex. I guess that partly described the scene in the room before. This gesture was so grand that it made him forget his love for me. Stop it, Diya. It's done. None of this matters anymore, I thought.

"Yuck, I will ask the maid to wash the sheets. Or just burn the bed." Anna whispered to me. I knew she wanted me to react, but apparently, that part of my brain was taking a hiatus for tonight, probably as a defense mechanism.

We took our seats as the gala began with the MC we had hired talking about the importance of charity. Still, I couldn't pay attention because Adam and Chloe were in deep conversation right in front of me. Whatever he was saying was making her laugh.

"Hey, can you switch seats with me?" I asked Natasha.

"Sure, is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I just..." I couldn't think of an excuse, and this little error was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not being able to come up with an excuse bought on a panic attack. I felt my heartbeat quicken. A chill took over my body and immobilized me. Outside noises began to drown out, and the feeling of death and despair set in. Think of something else, Diya. Please think of anything else, I chanted to myself.

"Diya, are you okay?" I heard Natasha ask in a muffled sound.

I somehow manage to get up and run out of the grand hall. I ran till I saw a women's bathroom sign in a vacant hallway. I dashed inside and came face to face with a large mirror.

I no longer liked the way I looked. The glow I was proud of just a few minutes ago had entirely disappeared. I looked sweaty and sickly. I could see the quickened heartbeat, and the chills I was experiencing shook my whole body. I watched myself go through it, and somehow this helped me come back to myself. Being here alone and looking the way I did put things into perspective. I began my healing process by first taking deep breaths. This helped the positive thoughts roll into my brain. What exactly was I panicking about? Yes, it hurt that someone I loved didn't love me back, but so what? My life didn't stop because of that. In fact, I got rid of my weight. I no longer had anything to be guilty about! I was free! Granted, I felt lonely at this moment, but that feeling was false and temporary. I had parents who loved me and friendships I could trust. My Avi would understand everything. These thoughts finally calmed me down, and tiredness began to set in. I welcomed this feeling and intensified it by splashing water on my face, rubbing off the makeup that was coming off with the sweat anyways.