THIRTEEN

Miss Crawford chooses the partners this time for cooking. To June's dismay, Emily is hers.

They're reading instructions on how to make bread and jam from a shared piece of paper covered in drops of water from their washed hands. Emily reads aloud, but June doesn't mind, especially when she confirms what's needed in the ingredient lists.

"I'll get started on the strawberries if get started on the dough," she says, passing the sheet over to June. "Easier than waiting until the dough starts rising."

June's brows pinch together. "You sure you want to handle the jam?"

"I did my nails on the weekend." She proudly shows them off. "And I don't want dough under them. Such a weird texture, you know?"

"There are gloves." A headache appears in her temples. "It won't get messy.

"Do you want to make the jam instead?"

June brushes the suggestion away and agrees with the roles. It's not Emily's nails she's annoyed over. Really, she's not annoyed at Emily. But she's in her sights, unfortunately.

With her hair piled up in her low bun and gloves covering her fingers, June pats the pocket of her skirt where Christian's note lies, corners of her mouth going dry.

She remembers her sentence so clearly.

After what happened in year 10, I can't be nice towards someone who doesn't apologise for what he's done.

And his, like fresh ink against the corner of her mind:

I'm sorry.

Her breathing hammers slightly. Her pocket a hot stove. She doesn't like how a simple sentence has struck her, especially when it came from Christian Nilsson.

June's been waiting two years for such a simple apology. She has it now. It's with her.
It throws her off.

She scoffs not caring how her feelings are clearly showing on her face, not caring at Emily's side-glance. He's only doing this to throw her off. She will not fall for it. She still remembers of the open target to place on herself. He wants her to feel open and vulnerable, and then strike at the last minute. She can sense it.

Emily and her move well together, June admits after a moment. She understands why Kim has a friendship with her. Though June won't start opening up to her about her life's secrets, there's something pleasant in the way they share the bench.

June's focus on the task gets interrupted by Emily's loud eruption. "Oh hi, Ryan!"

Slow kneading of the dough, June catches Ryan coming through the kitchen room with a small plastic green cup in hand. He nods at Emily and passes one over to June. Why? She doesn't know. She'll bring it up with Maeve.

"Hi Miss Crawford," Ryan starts as Miss Crawford impatiently waits for Ryan's interruption. "Mr Rodroy asked for some vinegar. Not much, just a cup full please."

"He's so polite." Emily's low voice makes its way to June's hearing. Her sigh laps through. "Can't believe he doesn't have a girlfriend."

June grins at Emily's comment but stays silent. From the corner of her eye, she sees two figures waiting by the front door, backs facing the class, obviously waiting for Ryan to return. How ridiculous. Who needs three pairs of hands just for a cup of vinegar? It's clear they're there to ditch.

She doesn't understand it. She knows her friends do it, but June has never been the one to miss out on class on purpose. That's too much information missed.