🧿Chapter 22: Thank You

Olexei's Pov

Instinctively, my hand came up to stop Ryder from taking a step forward when he saw who was speaking

Instinctively, my hand came up to stop Ryder from taking a step forward when he saw who was speaking. Glancing over, I noticed Xan grab Hwan's hand and this caused me to raise a brow.

"You aren't welcomed here" the man said cooly.

"I don't remember asking for your permission" Ryder scoffed.

"Careful. You and I both know I can make things very uncomfortable for you" he hissed.

"I'd like to see that" Ryder said going to move closer but, my hand made that difficult.

"Calm down. We didn't come here for a fucking pissing contest!" I snapped annoyed.

For these two to be two of the cities most powerful men, they weren't acting like it. Of course there was a rivalry as Ryder was the leader of a prominent gang and Hwan was a very wealthy and powerful business mogul. They had never really gotten along.

"I asked for your help, not this" Xan mumbled.

"If I had know it was for this asshole, I would've said no" Hwan stated.

"It isn't for him, it's for me" I spoke up.

"Your no better. I'm no saint...hell far from it but, even I know the work you do isn't winning you any points in the afterlife" he sighed.

"I've made peace with that" I responded.

"Please. You know I wouldn't of reached out if it wasn't important" Xan pleaded.

"You could of reached out before that" Hwan muttered and  I just looked at them. They had a history which was obvious, whether it was good or bad was a mystery.

"Come to my office

"Come to my office. Too many people around for such sensitive information" he said before walking away. We all followed as he led us away from the music to the back of the club. There was a security guard stationed at the door we walked through.

"So what did you find out?" I asked wanting to cut to the chase.

"The police commissioner is the one pushing so hard" Hwan spoke.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Why else? Politics. He wants to run for office and since his whole campaign is about lowering violence...your his target. Taking down a part of one of the biggest gangs is a guaranteed win" he explained.

"This is some bullshit" Ryder hissed.

"Well you can't do anything to him. The police commissioner is high as hell on the food chain. Anything happens to him and your for sure getting locked away. Which means you just have to find a weak point and apply pressure. Though it won't be easy, he's running for office so the public eye will stay on him" Xan stated.

"I'll have Anna dig into his background" Ryder sighed pulling his phone out but, before he could send a text I grabbed it

"Not her. Use someone else" I told him.

"She the best" he argued.

"She's a rat" I said.

"We don't know for sure" he rebutted.

"Okay but, why take the chance. I'm telling you something is off about her and since it's my life on the line, I'm saying use someone else" I snapped. He glared at me before groaning.

"Fine. I'll have Gio look into it" Ryder mumbled and I nodded before handing him back the device.  Once in his hand he started texting and making calls.

"Thanks" I spoke looking at Hwan who was too busy with his eyes stuck on Xan to hear me.

"What are you going to do now?" Xan asked ignoring his admirer.

"I don't know. Like you said, he's well protected but, we'll figure something out" I groaned.

"I'll let you know if I hear anything in the station" he stated.

"Thanks. We're gonna head out" I hummed grabbing Ryder and exiting the office and eventually the club.

He stayed on the phone the whole drive back home. Not speaking one word. Brows furrowed and focused on his task at hand. It was sexy, I must admit. He was so focused on helping and protecting me. He didn't want me to go anywhere and that meant he was gonna do everything in his power to make sure we handled not only the police commissioner but, also the people who were attacking the family.

"Hey" I started grabbing his hand to gain his attention.

"Huh" he responded looking at me.

"Thank you" I breathed.

"For what?" he questioned.

"Ever-" I began but, was cut off by the sound of screeching tires.

Bright head lights flashed across our faces before the side the truck was smashed and our bodies were flung to the opposite side of the vehicle. The only thing keeping us from crashing through the window was our seatbelts as we went tumbling over the side of the road.

"R-Ryder" I mumbled blood coming out my mouth as I hung upside down. I tried to turn my neck to look at him but, found it difficult. The last thing I remember before blacking out was the sound of heels stepping on broken glass.

➿➿➿➿➿➿➿➿
—-MissTAYTAY1 XOXO