Chapter 2

About seven minutes later

Vee closed her eyes as she collapsed on the ground while crossing the finish line. Unlike a majority of her class, she decided to actually run the entire mile. However, while she was in Luz's form, she technically had to use Luz's athletic capabilities. Unfortunately, it wasn't much, especially in running.

"Noceda," the teacher stated as they walked over to her. "7:05 was your time, not bad."

Vee, who was still on the ground, raised a thumb up to the teacher.

The teacher then turned and watched as the rest of the class continued their walk of the mile.

Vee's eyes stayed closed as she decided to rest for a minute or two. She could've easily used a bit of magic to quickly recover, but she didn't want to raise suspicion. Not to mention, she was still shaken up from just hearing what the redhead said.

Testing.

"Hey."

Vee opened her eyes and looked in shock and awe. It was the redhead who was leaning over and offering a hand. Vee wasn't sure if the sunlight was behind the girl or not, but she was practically glowing with... beauty.

Vee, not wanting to keep the girl waiting, reached for the hand and felt herself fly up from the ground and onto her feet. She then leaned over and continued catching her breath.

"Woah, hey, easy there, deep breaths, in and out," the redhead replied, putting her hand on Vee's shoulder.

The basilisk nodded as she glanced up at the girl who was giving a compassionate smile.

"I'm surprised you actually ran the whole thing, considering this was just testing."

Vee widened her eyes again as this time she could hear the word echo in her head. She could hear the words said from all the guards at the Emperor's Castle, even from Belos himself.

The doppelgänger of Luz stumbled back a bit in fright.

"Woah, hey, easy... Luz was it? Deep breaths," the redhead stated.

Vee listened to the girl, nodded her head and slowly began taking deep breaths.

"There you go," the redhead replied. "Come on, let's get you some water."

Vee slowly nodded.

"Tha... thanks."

The two then began to head over to the water fountain that was off to the side of the field. As they walked, other students strolled by them.

"Dang, Luz," the girl from Vee's group said. "That was a bold move on your part."

"Yeah, she kind of went out a little too hard," the redhead responded as she helped Vee to the fountain.

The basilisk then leaned over and began to drink from the stream of water that shot out from the weird human contraption.

"Feel better?" the redhead asked.

Vee raised her head as she let the refreshing water sink in.

"Yeah, a lot better," she replied. "Thank you."

The redhead smiled.

"No problem."

The girl then folded her arms in curiosity.

"You've only done miles for class right?"

Vee tilted her head at the question.

"What?"

"Running a mile," the redhead stated. "You said you never ran one before. You meant other than for tests in gym class?"

Vee widened her eyes with understanding.