Epilogue

Nighttime had arrived in Gravesfield, but Audrey was still awake in her room. It had been over 2 hours since Luz left, but it didn't feel like 2 hours. Instead, it felt like 2 minutes or so as all she had done was replay her conversation with the girl.

This also meant that Audrey had yet to open the card from her team that Luz had given her those couple of hours ago.

It did bother her, but it also confused her.

It's not like anyone on her team wasn't her friend, or at the very least not friendly, but... maybe it was just... her not wanting her team to comfort her.

Everything she dealt with, she never wanted others to be put in the way or get involved. Even if they did, Audrey wanted to make sure they wouldn't be the ones to take the fall.

Like when she and Luz were being chased by the dog the night of the movie.

But, of course, it was Luz's conversation with her just two hours ago that was changing her perception of that mentality.

She once again looked down at the card and ran through ideas as to what it could possibly say.

However, after much consideration, the girl finally gave in.

She turned over the envelope and ripped the seam. She then slowly pulled out the actual card to observe what it was.

Audrey at first wanted to close her eyes and toss the card aside. As much as she wanted to power through it, every single time her father was brought up in some way or form made her flinch in agony.

However, the words from her friend echoed in her head, persuading her to keep going.

She saw the front of the card and was amazed by what it was.

On the cover was a beautiful dusky sky, with a collection of hands holding hearts underneath and in the sky, a consolation of stars reading out, "We're here for you!"

Audrey nearly felt a tear form in her pupil, but she shook it away as she knew she needed to wait. Wait until she opened the card and see what her teammates had to say.

The girl slowly revealed the inside and was in pure shock at what was there.

The cross country team for her school had well over 30 girls, and Audrey could tell that every single one of their names was on the inside of the card.

All of their names, including the statement, "Always together, no matter the distance. We're here for you, with our persistence."

A single tear shed down Audrey's cheek as she turned to the stand next to her and set the card down with it upright, so she could see it as she lied down.

She then looked up at the ceiling and once again thought about Luz's words. How she and the team would be there for her.

It warmed Audrey's heart, but it also surprised her.

To think a little over a week ago, she had never actually had a conversation with Luz. A girl she was told was a bit of a weirdo. But now, the two were friends and had formed a connection.

A connection that felt... very good to have. Yet, it seemed like pure luck that Audrey had found Luz. But then again, luck comes in many strange ways.