Chapter 10

It was a cool Monday afternoon and all was well with the world. The final bell rang and the students began to flush outside. For most of the teenagers present, they were heading home, either in a bus, car or on foot.

However, some stayed behind, whether for clubs, sports or other after-school activities.

But then there was Vee, who was there just to check on someone, someone she hadn't seen in gym class earlier in the day.

Vee slowly followed the students out of the building before quickly making a sharp turn towards the track where the girl's cross country was meeting up for practice. The basilisk slowly approached the entrance to the field and stopped near the gate.

She then sat down on one of the benches present and pulled out a book from her backpack. It was one of her assignments for English class, but she didn't mind. The book was very fascinating as according to her teacher, it took place in the 1920s nearly a century ago.

Everything about the story intrigued Vee. A tale of love, life, but also money. The ending she thought was tragic, but she also understood why it happened.

As much as Vee wanted to read through the book again, she mainly used it as a cover while she continuously glanced towards the slowly growing group of girls that were gathering on the grass.

There had to have been about 40 or so girls present.

But none of them looked like Audrey.

"Excuse me?"

Vee nearly jumped from the bench as she turned to see the person who had approached her.

It was a man, who had a visor, a runner's shirt, shorts and sneakers on. He also seemed to be in his mid-30s and was holding a clipboard. The man also put his hands up as he realized he startled Vee.

"Woah! Sorry!" he said.

It was Vee's turn to put her hands up, which she then followed by picking up the book she dropped.

"It's ok... I was just... reading..."

"Here?" the man questioned.

Vee nodded.

"Yeah..." the doppelgänger paused for a moment as she glanced back towards the group of runners. A few of them were looking over at her and the man present, which caused Vee to put two and two together.

"Are you the cross country coach?"

The man nodded.

"Yep! Coach Connor Hart at your service."

Vee nearly got up from the bench at the confirmation.

"Great!"

"Are you here to join the team?" Coach Hart quickly asked in curiosity.

Vee shook her head.

"No... I was just checking to see if my friend was here. I didn't see her in class today and I got worried."

"Who's your friend?" Coach Hart asked.

"Audrey Whitlock."

The coach widened his eyes at the name before taking a deep breath and replying.

"I'm sorry... Audrey stayed home today."

Vee tilted her head in confusion, but also in suspicion.

"Why? What happened?"

Coach Hart glanced over at the team before glancing down at his watch.

"Audrey's going through some tough times and she just needed to be with her family," Coach Hart explained. "But... if you're her friend. Go swing by her house to check on her... I think she really appreciate the company."