Chapter 8

Things were still quiet and calm as Audrey and Vee sat on the couch in the Noceda house. Camila meanwhile was in the kitchen on her laptop. She decided to give Vee and Audrey some space until Audrey's mother came to pick her up.

As for what she was doing on her laptop, Camila had a few tabs open, each one focusing on a different area. The first tab was her email, which had a few messages from work, but weren't urgent.

The second tab was focusing on the strange occurrences that had happened in Gravesfield. Now that she knew an entire other realm existed, one filled with magic and demons that could leak into the Human Realm, she needed to try to understand as much as she could.

Speaking of understanding, the third tab was focusing on a specific person and their family. Camila raised her head from the screen as she heard the sound of a car pulling up. This was then followed by the sound of footsteps scurrying to the front door.

"Thanks again, Luz," Audrey stated as she approached. "I hope we can do this again."

"Yeah," Vee replied. "Same here."

Camila slowly walked towards the front room where she watched as Vee and Audrey awkwardly stared at each other for a moment. Both girls also chuckled, but it was clear neither one knew how to end the conversation.

That was until, a car horn was heard. Audrey quickly turned her head towards the front door as she opened it up. She, Vee and Camila looked outside and saw the grey minivan on the street. In the driver's seat was an older woman who saw Audrey standing at the door. The lady motioned for Audrey to get to the car.

Vee raised an eyebrow as she saw the look on Mrs. Whitlock's face. She seemed genuinely concerned.

Audrey quickly turned and waved goodbye to "Luz".

"Hope to see you at school Monday!" the human stated before rushing out and shutting the door.

Vee stood in silence as she listened to the sound of a car door opening and closing outside, then driving off down the street into the night. She was taking what she saw on the mother's face. That look. That concerned look.

"Vee?"

The basilisk turned around and saw Camila just a few feet behind her. By the look on her face, it was clear she too saw Mrs. Whitlock's concerning demeanor.

"Camila... I'm..." Vee paused for a moment. So much was going through her mind that it was just overwhelming.

"Vee, it's ok, you had a lot happen tonight," Camila replied as she walked up to Vee, got on one knee and put her hand on the doppelgänger's shoulder.

Vee smiled at the sudden warmth she got from Camila's hand on her shoulder. But, it was also a bit of a chill too. A chill because she knew she wasn't Luz.

"Yeah," Vee whispered as she took a step back before heading towards the stairs. "I'm going to go to bed."

Camila was caught a bit off guard by Vee's sentence.

"Are you sure?" the woman asked. "It's not even nine o'clock."

Vee, who was already beginning the climb upstairs, stopped and glanced back at Camila.

"I'm sure," she stated. "Like you said, I had a lot happen tonight."

Camila watched as Vee returned her attention to the stairs and eventually disappeared in the upper hallway.

The woman let the silence sink in and took Vee's words to thought. So much has happened, yet they were supposed to act like nothing happened, at least outside the house. Camila sighed, then returned to her computer where she continued looking at the third tab. It was a story about Audrey and her family.