chapter seven

Porco was already wide awake when you dragged yourself into the kitchen the next morning, surprising you with his presence. He was rummaging through your collection of food, searching for breakfast, while sipping at freshly brewed coffee. The morning was still new, bright yellow beams of light slashing through the windows and bouncing off your skin.

"Morning," he said when he heard you walk in, not even bothering to look up. There was a bright green apple in his hand, one that you had bought earlier in the week—he took a bite of a it, chewing loudly. "How'd you sleep?"

"Just as okay as ever." You snorted, pushing past him to reach the coffee which was, to your relief, still warm. The bitter liquid made you feel marginally more awake, your body loosening. "Shouldn't I be asking you that question, though?"

"Huh?" Porco said over his shoulder, only halfway paying attention. He pulled out a loaf of bread and kept searching for something—you weren't sure what. It wasn't like you kept a wide selection of groceries. "I slept like a baby; best night's sleep I've had in a while. Your couch is so comfortable. I swear, it's a better bed than I have."

You laughed over the rim of your coffee cup and shook your head. "Are you sure you're not just saying that because most of the time you sleep on it, you're drunk?"

"I'm sure. It's like a cloud, trust me." He pinched his face together as he turned back around and scanned your kitchen. "You got a knife?"

With a sigh, you stepped away from the drawer you were leaning against and pulled out the sharp utensil. Porco's grabbed it greedily and sliced the bread.

A calm silence grew between the two of you watched Porco make himself a piece of toast, and you sipped at your coffee, finally regaining some life to you. You'd never been a morning person, and conversation too early in the day usually wore you out. Thankfully, Porco was also sluggish—you weren't sure if you would've been able to handle his energy this morning.

"Thanks for getting me here, by the way. And letting me crash." The words were muttered under his breath as he spread jam across the heated bread, only his side profile visible.

"Don't thank me." You snorted; Porco had been deadweight last night, nearly dragging you down with him. "If it hadn't been for Reiner helping, I think I would've just left you in that booth."

"Well, you know I'm not going to thank him, so just take it," Porco said, rolling his eyes.

An exasperated sigh left your lips. "You're welcome here anytime, Pock, just so you know. If you want to stay over, you don't have to be drunk to do it."

He shifted so that he was finally facing you fully, pulling away from the counter. "Well, shit, what would I do without you?" he said teasingly, grinning as he flicked you on the forehead. You swatted him away with a glare, but his hand had already retracted.

Despite his joking manner, there was a layer of affection behind his words, one that you knew he meant sincerely. A part of you would feel so empty without Porco, and it was the same for him.

"You'd be absolutely fucking miserable." You failed at suppressing your smile, words laced with veiled fondness.

Porco shook his head and snorted out a laugh, finishing up his toast before taking a bite. Crumbs flew all over his face and shirt from the crunch, and you grimaced, handing him a napkin to wipe them off.

"What are you going to do with your day off?" he asked, haphazardly dragging the cloth over his face. You could only imagine how many of the crumbs had fallen to the floor, instead of staying on the napkin like you'd intended.

You shrugged; obviously, you hadn't made any plans, not anticipating the free afternoon. You were grateful enough that you'd gotten the day off from training and Commander Klein too. "I thought I might go down to the bookstore." Your response was off-handed and uninterested—the hours seemed so long when there was nothing to do. "Honestly, I'll probably be bored having the entire day to myself."