1

More like the crappy introduction.

Despite the surrounding, brightly coloured scenery and fun atmosphere, you were practically shaking as you stepped out of the cab, struggling with your bag full of books to pass the time - if you had any. You thanked the driver and took a deep breath before striding as confidently as you could muster across the campus.

Although you weren't learning at Google, you were working at one of the new-built libraries there as a summer job before you went to your chosen college to study literature; your father, who had worked at Google several years ago, hooked you up with the job and you were determined that, despite how insignificant it would be in comparison to the other summer jobs and other holidays, you would achieve something great there. Your father had secured a 'holiday home', meaning temporary accomidation while he worked on some business, a short drive away, away from your real home and your friends, putting a whole new independence onto you after all the years of high school.

Once you had, after an hour of walking around mesmerised and distracted by the interns gathering and chatting loudly, eventually found the library, aptly named New Library, you were directed by the manager, Carrie.

"Hi, there," she greeted, looking you up and down happily. You felt immediately relaxed and glanced down at your favourite outfit, pleased it was liked.

"Hey, I'm y/n y/l/n," you said, awkwardly holding your hand out to shake, unsure of what how to greet her. She took it and nodded

"Ah, the summer job. Didn't want to take a holiday with friends or do anything more interesting?" Carrie teased.

"I love books," was all you could think to say. She showed you around the multi-coloured library, and you took it all in, particularly the fiction section. Once the 'tour' was over, Carrie sat down at the desk and folded her legs, looking at you through her glasses.

"So, since the interns are all here over the summer and so are you, I thought you would like to have the same lunch breaks as them," Carrie smiled. "Make yourself some summer friends."

"Oh...great," you said, feeling unsure already. Getting to have lunch with extremely smart comuter-types and attempting to forge some kind of awkward friendship? Not exactly your forte. You were feeling far too shy for that yet.

"Well, I'd better show you the ropes of the system," Carrie said, gesturing to the desk. You took a deep breath and settled down next to her, getting ready for your first real paid job.

A bit random and short, but just go with the flow here. Carrie's name comes from one of my favourite characters in TV ever, Carrie Bradshaw <3