19

"You promise there'll be no strippers?" you check with Nick anxiously, tugging at the hem of your dress in a nervous fashion. Nick clamps his hand on your upper arm and taps it soothingly.

 "I promise. This is just a regular bar, where regular people go," he explains, gesturing to the small, brick building you and the other interns are standing in front of. Billy had arranged another trip with their team for an evening, deciding to take it down a notch and just relax instead of going crazy like last time when everything had got out of hand.

 You had allowed them to convince you to come again with the promise that , wearing a different dress than before with a hem that grazed higher on your thighs, determined to try to make the most of the evening. Neha struts beside you and grins at your outfit.

 "You look great," she beams, and you let out a bubble of shy laughter, automatically glancing down at your exposed legs. When you raise your head, you see Stuart looking at them too before he has his arm shaken by Lyle, who drags him inside. You flush and follow the others in, still tugging at the dress.

 The bar is strangely peaceful and relaxed, the tangy scent of beer and faint perfume filling your nostrils, and you look around quickly for a spare table, spotting one and guiding Yo-yo and Neha to it. Billy gets his wallet out.

 "What's everyone having?" he asks. He looks at Stuart.

 To your surprise, Stuart shakes his head. "We've got things to do tomorrow, remember?"

 After Yo-yo, Neha and Lyle also deny the offer of drinks, Billy looks hopefully at you. You shrug and decide 'what the hell'. You've had drink before. A little bit. Once.

 "Sure, why not?" you laugh happily, sitting down carefully next to Lyle. When they come back to the table, three beers and four juices in hand, you gingerly accept the bottle and take a small sip, everybody watching to gauge your reaction. You swallow the bitter taste and pull a face.

 "That's disgusting," you complain, but take a larger swig. You soon manage to grow immune to the foul taste and keep up with Billy and Nick while the rest of the table talks about their plans for the internship in low, serious voices, pitching ideas and saying words you recognise from the Computer Science: Simplified book that you remember but don't understand.

 You feel yourself becoming more giddy and light, a new shining freedom stretching through your body and a warm glow flowing over your skin. As the alcohol begins to take affect, you realise so many things are amusing - a lampshade, a beard, the word 'frivolous'. All the while, as you glance around the bar and take in the suddenly hilarious images, the others barely notice.

 That is until a few beers later when you lie back onto Yo-yo's lap and start singing out loud, imagining yourself as Beyonce. The table goes noticeably quieter, save for Billy sniggering across the table.

 "Er, I take it you don't drink that much," Nick mutters anxiously, picking up the bottle of beer in front of you on the table and reading the lable.

 "Oh, come on, she's loosening up, having fun," Billy nudges just as you're rolling onto the floor yelling, "Wheeee!"

 You land with a thump but merely burst into laughter, cupping your sore elbow and staring at the chewing gum stuck underneath the table, laughing with disgust.

 "Eww, it's so gross under here!" you point out loudly, putting your hand on the underside of the table in the places where no chewing gum is jammed. "It's so... Hey, guys, lie down with me, it's fun! It's my new secret spot!"

 When they finally drag you out after an hour or so, still trying to get some work done, there's no stopping you from stumbling to the bar and picking up your fourth beer, taking it back to the table with delight.