Besotted.

song for this chapter:
Dreaming Of You - Cigarettes After Sex
(link added if you'd like to listen while reading!)
___________________________________

May 17
(2 weeks later)

Harry

I can't remember the last time I looked up at the sky and realized how brightly the stars truly shine on a gloomy night.

The entire city had a power outage, which forced us to put everything on hold.

I was just on my way back home when it all happened, which meant my ride home on the subway was scratched off and I had to walk a couple of blocks.

Thankfully, I still had signal, so I called my neighbor to ask if there was still any running water and she said yes.

Next, I called Rory to make sure she was home safe. She told me was trying to hail a cab so she wouldn't have to walk all the way back home since her place was a bit further away from the subway than mine.

I told her to stay put on a crowded place so she wouldn't be alone until I got home, grabbed my car and went there to pick her up so she could spend the night at mine and I would be sure she was safe and had everything she needed.

Also because I knew I've been having trouble sleeping when she's not here, but that's besides the point.

Traffic was completely blown out of proportion due to all the people trying to find petrol stations to load up their tanks since the news announced that it would take a day or two for the power to come back.

I took the time to stare up at the sky and count as many stars as I could while keeping my foot on and off the brake as the cars moved.

1... 2... 3... 4...

You would think that in a time like this is when you would hear even the faintest creaks due to the lack of noise from big warehouses or any power plants.

But no.

It's moments like these where everything goes... quiet.

It's a type of silence that has you listening to those innermost thoughts you tend to push away every minute of every day.

5... 6... 7... 8...

It's a type of silence that has you wondering what the stars whisper among themselves as they witness every event occurring below them in a city filled with tired souls.

The type that makes you wonder if they ever look at the city lights and think of them as their own starry night

9... 10... 11... 12...

It's the type of silence you wish you would get to experience more often just so everything you put in the back burner of the stove would be given a little more perspective.

It's the ones that also make you see more clearly all the little things that make your life a little less complicated.

13... 14... 15... 16...

I begin making a mental list of those things. little things that make me hold on a little longer.

1. Writing
2. Espresso shaken thingies
3. Walks to the subway
4. Moss hazel irises
5. Monet