14

( PAST )

( PAST )

Four Years Ago

ELIZABETH'S POV:

The notice board, that's what all the eyes were on right now. The board that had a newspaper wrapped on its glass to prevent any sneak peeks, to hide the piece of paper that held the result of our efforts, fumbles and falls, the piece of paper that would decide our future. 

Everything, every sense was at its peak,the adrenaline rush in our veins to the anxiety and nail bites that filled up the room, if that wasn't enough, we all carried one thing in common, fear. The rapid heartbeats and aches sprung in our chests, the sleepless nights and dark circles underneath our eyes, made that pretty evident. 

Today was result day, the last one. Today was the end of our final year. It didn't matter what we did in the past, it didn't matter what went around in the class, what mattered was today. The finale of all, the day our lives would turn around forever. 

I anxiously took a glance at my watch, something I'd been doing involuntarily every five minutes. It wasn't going to change the fact that the results had a good fifteen more minutes before they were declared. It didn't help that I had my nail being sandwiched between my teeth. 

"Stop with that" 

"Can't" 

"Why?" 

"Nervous" 

"It's only fifteen minutes now" 

"Yes, it's a whole fifteen minutes, that's a w whole nine hundred seconds, that's-" 

"I'll pay you fifty dollars if you shut up with the maths" 

"Fine", I sighed, to say stress wasn't getting the best of me would be a lie. At this point I could just go up to the notice board and rip off the newspaper wrapping myself. 

"Bunny", I heard him say as he placed his hand on my shoulder, gently massaging it, "You're gonna be fine, you are literally the brightest student in the class and too much stress isn't good for you" 

"What if I'm not alright? What if the bitch of a brother of yours scored better than me", I say turning towards him. 

"What if he scores better than me, what if he scores better than us?"  

"You're not helping here, Alexander", I said as I started biting my nail again and I noticed he did too, I could feel my leg tapping on the ground. The commotion in the hallway filled up the missing element of distress now that we had only a few minutes to go. The loud boom from the bell broke it all. 

The warning bell. We had ten more minutes to go. 

"James", I heard a voice, a voice I had the unfortunate experience of being familiar with. Aries Fucking Knight. 

"No" 

"You didn't even look at me today", he said.

"Can't risk the bad luck i might get today if I look at you" 

"Don't be so bitter, you'll have to save some for when you see my name on the top of that notice board today, darling"  

"Jealousy doesn't look good on you, honey, save some of it for when you don't see your name on the board" 

"We'll see, James" 

"That we will, Knight", I said as he slumped against the wall right next to me, making me shift and rest my head on Alex's shoulder and him wrapping his arm around my shoulder. 

We stood there for what seemed like hours, for what felt like the longest ten minutes of our lives, all of it only to be torn away by the loud boom of the bell. It was time. The rush had already begun once the bell had been rung, the newspaper cover was now in shreds underneath our feet and the crippling crowd, everyone was rushing towards the board. 

The cramping, the pushes and pulls, the way to the board at the end. It was all in front of me now. I could feel my heart crumple up in my chest,my palms were sweating as I put my hand on the wall and looked at the last line of the page, 60% is the passing rate. As I moved up  with names I found familiar in class, my eyes finally stopped when they reached mine. 

1. Elizabeth James ( valedictorian ) - 287/300 ( 95.6 % ) 

What I didn't see was what was written right next to my name, until Alex pointed it out. 

1. Aries Knight ( valedictorian 2 ) : 287/300 ( 95.6 % ) 

"I AM NOT SHARING MY STAGE WITH YOU", we both yelled at the same time.

"Look what you've done, Knight", I turn towards him 

"Me? You copied my score" 

"You're valedictorian 2, you copied ny score" 

"You make me want to tear my hair out", he spat 

"You make me want to peel my skin with a fucking knife", I replied. 

"Couldn't you have scored a point less", he said, shoving me to the wall.

"Couldn't you have jumped off of the library window", I replied as I pushed him by his shoulder. 

"YOU MAKE ME MISERABLE", was the last thing we told each other before storming off.

------------------------

Here's chapter 14, I hope you enjoyed reading it. Tag me if you post about Dear Butterflies on social media.

Instagram - @reythakker @starfire_2389

Twitter - @reyxthakker @starfire2389

Word count - 883 words

Until next time, dont forget to vote and comment.

EDITED AND REVAMPED

EDITED AND REVAMPED