Chapter 7- The Norrington's

After an exhausting night of dancing and celebrating, James and I made our way to one of the guest suites in the mansion. I collapse into one of the armchairs.

"My God, this dress is-"

"Absolutely stunning?" James quips, cutting off my complaints. I give him a tired smile. "I was going to say an itchy thermos, but your definition works as well I suppose." Laughing lightly, he comes around the back of the chair, rubbing my shoulder as he leans down, his lips to the tip of my left ear. "Would you like me to help you take it off?" A shiver runs down my spine as the warm breath of his whisper tickles my cheek "That would be lovely dear, but I hardly have any energy." He lets out a low chuckle, raising the hairs on the back of my neck. "I just thought we'd take a hot bath, and wash away the nerves before we doze off." I turn my head to get a good look at him, taking in the details of his features. His demeanor is naturally authoritative, demanding the respect of those around him. But as he looks at me, there's something different in his expression. His harsh eyebrows are turned upward, just like the corners of his lips. His olive-green eyes are filled with a sense of calm, his breath slow and natural. His gentle smile perfectly balances out his chiseled jawline, with his sleek dark hair tied in a ribbon behind his head.

I lean forward, pressing my forehead against his. "What did I ever do to deserve a man with such patience and compassion?" I breathe loudly enough for only the two of us to hear. "Funny," James whispers, "I was wondering how I landed such a beautiful woman with so much kindness and loyalty." It was moments like these when I wished to know who swabbed the deck that fateful day, so I could thank him. James kissed my temple gently, then walked around to the front of the chair, kneeling at my feet. "Let's get some rest, we have a long journey ahead of us, and we leave at noon." After a hot bath filled with little splashes and bubble sculptures, we put on our night clothes, then climbed into the plush bed.

We each lie on our sides facing each other in the center, so close that our noses touch. "I simply must be dreaming," I hum. "Why is that, my love?" A smile works its way across my face, "Because you're actually here to hold me at night." James flops onto his back, pulling me with him so I roll on his stomach. "Well, you best get used to it darling, because I'm never letting go now." I giggle, "Is that a promise?" He pushes a strand of hair behind my ear, bringing down my head to where my lips meet his. The kiss is soft and sweet, just as he is. After a moment he pulls back, "I swear it, flower." I roll off of him and onto my side as he turns to face me again. He kisses my temple, and I rest my head in the crook of his neck as he wraps his arms around me. "I love you, James," I mutter. "And I love you more, Lilli." I huff, "Not possible, captain."

"Good morning Captain Norrington, Mrs. Norrington!" A perky young voice exclaims from the table as we enter the dining room. I smile and look up at my husband as we take our seats. "Mrs. Norrington, such a lovely name." I giggle as he gives me a quick kiss. Elizabeth audibly grunts and rolls her eyes. "We understand you're blissful newlyweds madly in love, we really do, but do you think you can wait until you get on the boat before you start the pucker-up party?" James laughs, "Not going to happen, Lizzie. I get her whenever I want now." We all laugh as we eat breakfast, discussing the plans for our return after the honeymoon.

"The new manor for the two of you is nearly finished, they're merely working on the little details. When you return home there will be plenty of room for the two of you and some little ones too." My father quipped, obviously eager to have young children running around once again. "Calm down, both of you. Give us a bit of time to just be a married couple." James nodded in agreement. "As eager as we are to be parents, it's important that we take time to settle into a routine." Having said that, we enjoyed breakfast, discussing the joys of the previous night's celebrations. "I always seem to forget how good you two are at dancing, I just adored watching you last night." I smile, "I'd hope that we're good at it, that is how we met after all."

My father looks at me, quite perplexed. "What on earth do you mean dear, didn't you meet each other on the ship?" James grins, "Actually sir, we met when we were teenagers. Our boarding schools were adjoining, and once a year they would get together to take dance lessons and host a ball. The second I saw Lillian, I knew that I would do anything it took to win her heart." I take his hand, "He was quite successful, even at 16 he was easy on the eyes. We were dance partners for two years until he graduated. Not long after we met, he started sending me letters as my 'secret admirer, a new letter nearly every day. I wasn't quite sure that it was him, but I prayed that it was. I still have every letter." Elizabeth looked as if she was about to cry, "Aw, that's so sweet!" She cooed, earning a chuckle from James.  "I was absolutely heartbroken when he joined the Navy and the letters stopped coming." James squeezes my hand, "Three years later I was transporting the new governor of Port Royal and his daughters to the island. Lilli slipped on the deck, and I was just in time to catch her. I was stunned when I saw her face, and the second she said her name, I knew I was going to marry her."

I give him a short and sweet kiss, "I'm so glad that you were right." To my surprise, tears are now streaming down father's face. "I can't believe I've never heard this, your mother would have absolutely loved it." I take his hand, "She did, I told her all about James before she died, I even read her the letters. She wished so desperately to meet him. I'm almost positive that she was the one who sent him back to me." Father sniffles, wiping his tears away with his handkerchief. "I know it for a fact, that's exactly the type of thing your mother would do." Lizzie dabs the corners of her eyes, "I couldn't agree more. I know she would have adored you, James."

I hug my father and my sister tightly as we get ready to leave for our honeymoon. "We'll be back in two months' time, I promise I'll bring both of you a few things from Italy." The whole town crowds the dock, and we wave goodbye to everyone as we sail off on the Dauntless. Once we're out of the harbor, James turns to me. "What do you wish to do, Mrs. Norrington?" I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him lovingly, distracting him just long enough to steal his hat. I run to the bow of the ship as he chases me swiftly. Before he can grab me, I climb on the rail and swing from the ropes. "Well, since my husband is the captain of this ship, I think it's time that I learn how to sail." James grabs me, pulling me off the railing and taking back his hat, "Aye aye, Captain.