𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗵𝘂𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗱𝗼𝘄

no questions. just stares. awful double taking, longingly staring judgmental stares. but could y/n blame them? she was dressed like she couldn't tell seasonal changes apart. nobody dared approached her, nobody had the courage to ask the girl anything from being clothed so peculiarly.  which in a way, was exactly what y/n wanted.

the now blonde girl was wary of the people around her, attentive enough to not hold their gazes, anyone could be familiar with her and immediately find out even under the shades. she had to be intensely careful. her eyes meandered around, searching for diego's apartment.

she mounted up flights of stairs, and with each step, she was still nowhere close into figuring out what is it she should say to him. she stopped right in front of his red door marked 17.
knock knock knock.

diego weakly swung it open, y/n silently gasped. her friend looked unrecognizable. the tiredness that rested under his eyes were more prominent, so were his cheekbones. his blue eyes even appear to be more faded, not it's prince charming blue. she saw her friend smile again after days? weeks? months? again she didn't know.

"im sorry, i don't think i ordered some life size jumbo doll." diego gestured his hand, letting y/n in. he knew it was his dear friend under all that. y/n removed her wig and hat, letting her natural hair fall into place. "when we're done with this im taking you shopping for some good clothes." diego gave her a menacing smile.

y/n was happy to see him joke around with her like before, there wasn't a sign of resent nor grief. she gave him a hug, and then they sat on the couch, keeping each other up to date. "i see you're hiding from the town too?" he pointed up and down at y/n's questionable fit. she hummed in response.

it was that way that y/n learned that it had been just a week and a day since she was hung up in her room. "actually, i don't leave this place much either. these people are intolerable." he had a scowl on his face. the villagers would never leave him alone, either tending to him with pity or with scowl faces. it was hard enough to go out for some fresh air.

"yeah..i also heard you closed down your bread shop?" diego nodded along like it was old story he told and retold. "mhm, well i wasn't getting as much sales as before. the only good thing i got out of this is that those girls stopped crowding the windows of the store."  he and y/n cracked smiles in his comedic relief.

"so," diego said while sweeping off the nervousness from his knees. "what's the real reason you came here y/n?" the girl gulped, "well truth is, i didn't know what i was going to say, i just missed you and wanted to see if you're doing okay."

"when i heard your store closed i bolted over here  instantly." diego looked confused. "but why?"

y/n just shrugged. "i don't know, i mean you loved that store, i love that store. so closing it down must've been hard for you." y/n always went there to be of company, in some weird way, it was like she lost her safe space.

"yeah i did, but it's not for forever anyway. plus, it was boring without your visits." diego added, scooting a bit closer to y/n.

"and hey, don't feel bad about my dad." he brought up the topic y/n was too scared to do herself. "he had it coming for a while now." his expression darkened. "what? what do you mean?"

"it all made sense now. he always said he's busy working late nights but it's hard to catch any fish at night. he was working on something else...this poorly elaborated scheme on stealing that candle for...months. he neglected his job, this family...everything."

"he would've been successful if it weren't for you and apparently the house shaking, so if anything, good riddance." he smirked.

"so your whole family is good with him being gone indefinitely ?" y/n questioned. "welll..not exactly." he properly chose the words to break it to y/n, his mom and sister both painted her as a villain who locked up an innocent man. all for the sake of the girl not seeing her father in a bad light.