Chapter One

Kauvara wasn't sure why her father kept throwing princes and royals at her for her to hopefully choose one of them to marry. Perhaps it was a test, one for her that he had given as redemption for the time she had brought shame upon him. Perhaps it was his last hope for her, a child that he had held in the upmost esteem only for her to only be a disappointment.

She knew though, that the wheat-haired, flat-faced, boy prince in front of her had no chance of winning her over.

Perhaps it was because her father was involved in their meeting, a rather unfortunate fact, at least in her experience. Or perhaps it was the fact that he was the prince of another kingdom, come to marry her and swoop her away like one buys an ox and takes it home with them.

Or perhaps it was because her father expected her to amuse him and this boy prince by courting him and sharing an evening dinner in the pavillon under the glimmering stars- and watchful glare of the gossipy nobles and rumor mongering maids.

Kauvara took a sip of the honeyed wine she had already downed two glasses of and tuned out the prattles of the boy prince as she turned her attention instead to their surroundings.

Brightly lit, though not so much that it would ruin the romantic mood the servents had tried to set up, the pavillon was an architectual marvel built by the genius mind of her great great great great grandfathers palace designer, Luisimos DeVant. An intricately weaved arched glass cieling that allows in pale moonligt met woodeen beams curled like ivy tendrils. Lazily flashing hanging lights set an ambient tone all throughout like wandering spirits leading the way to an unknown destination. Only Devant's magic could allow him to create such a wonder.

"I think we should get married as soon as possible. We can leave tomorrow and have the wedding in a months time."

Kauvara's attention once again focused on the boy prince of Osurmis with a sweet, thin-lipped smile. "Why so soon," she settled her wineglass on the table and picked up her knife to cut through the heavily seasoned pheasant, "We hardly know each other."

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the prince- she really must figure out his name later- visibly relax at the notion that she wouldn't make this harder for him, "Why wait. Both our kingdoms approve of the match and we'll both stand to benefit heavily from the marriage. We'll only be delaying the inevitable if we hold off things longer." He waggles his eyebrows to imply he was talking about their wedding night. At the thought, Kauvara wanted to take the dinner knife she was holding and properly reject him.

Conform yourself Kauvara. He will give you his blessing only if you behave.

She cleared her throat and smiled, in that deceptively sweet way she does when she's at the end of her wit, The nobles and servants knew this, and she could hear their whispery talks float through the air like chattery birds.

"I am sorry, but Ill have to reject your proposal," She dabbed her mouth with the ivory white napkins and hid her smile behind it., "It is for the best you see. I hope this doesn't offend you in any way." She flutters her eyelashes as she watches with barely veiled interest at the boys quickly reddening face as he stands up in all his righteous fury.

"Y-y-you cant! I already have your fathers approval. You cannot go against your fathers word."

Kauvara snorted at the absurd words. She had kept up this charade for far too long and now this boy thought he had the rights to her. Her thoughts, her body, her decisions. She got up from the table, gracefully as she was taught- though if she really had been taught properly she wouldn't outright reject the prince and leave him alone- and flips her fan open as her two, previously unseen maids rush forward and stand behind her.

"I will forgive you this once for your bold statements because you are not from here. If you had been you would know, as everyone else does, that no man, no one has a say in who I marry," At this she smiles maliciously, lowering her fan so the prince sees, "Especially my father." Then she lowers her fan, clicks it close and beckons for her handmaidens to follow.

"In my country, girls are quick to follow orders and taught to be silent," thought his words were mumbled, they still rose to Kauvara's ears and froze her.

Without turning around she could tell the prince knew he had crossed a line.

"Princess I-,"

"Prince of Osurmis, I have spared you the humiliation of being rejected in public. If you need a more final answer, you can be sure I will be most willing to give it in a more public setting. That is," her eyes gleamed dangerously, "Unless, you still don't understand and would prefer my answer another way."

Her handmaidens shared knowing glances as they awaited the prince's predictable answer.

Head down and fists clasped together tighter, he murmured a quiet, "Thank you," and Kauvara resumed walking once more and left the foolish prince to his foolish thoughts.