Chapter Nine

"What are you? "

Kauvara awoke in a dark room, the only source of light pointed directly into her eyes. The voice that had spoken came from behind her and was slightly familiar. As if from a broken dream.

The midnight haired boy, she thought in realization and tried to turn so that she could verify the assumption.

"Don't. It won't work," the young man said, slightly amused when she at the same time realized she couldn't move. She looked down but didn't see any ropes tying her down in her chair.

"Stasis magic, courtesy of Reimis, "

A different more carefree voice peeped, "Hello," from behind her.

Kauvara's eyes widened at the name and once again tried to turn around to no avail.

"Re-Reimis? As in Reimis god of time and space?" The carefree voice laughed and came into her sight.

An emerald haired and green eyed boy popped into her view with a large smile on his face. He wore trousers with many pockets and a laced up wide cuffed shirt. He was more feminine in the way that he looked more cute than classically handsome. Which was surprising to Kauvara. Every artistic portrayal she had seen of him had made him look more muscular and mannish, compared to his rather boyish appearance.

Even thinking of him as cute felt sacrilegious to everything she had ever known.

He brushed his bangs away as he peered at her, closely, seemingly not knowing the meaning of personal space and looked behind her, an easygoing smile on his face.

"Definitely cursed. She has a strange sheen to her eyes. That or she's on Ellycit. That would also explain why I wasn't able to detect her. The hexer probably didn't want anyone turning her back." Storing the rest of that info into her mind for future reference, Kauvara narrowed her eyes at the mention of the mystical drug, Ellycit. It was supposedly very intense and could cause hallucinations for days on end, even after the initial use.

Reimis noticed her look and smiled wider, "No? Not fond of consuming hallucinatory-inducing drugs? Then am I right about the curse?" She nodded, still unsure of how to talk to the god. Whenever she was made to do prayers for ceremonial purposes, she had been made to believe that she had had to be formal about it. But here was a god, talking casually to her as if they were peers and had been friends their entire lives.

She heard a deep groan behind her and then felt hands lean on the top of her chair, lifting it and herself onto its hind legs a few centimeters up.

She did not appreciate this.

"If I had a moral compass, this would make things a lot more difficult," the boy mused and tugged on a strand of her hair. If Kauvara had been anyone else, she might have flinched from the sudden invasion but instead, she just blinked.

"Luckily, I am more logical than that. Anomalies interfere with things. And the last thing I need is more interference." The boy paused, as if wanting to give suspense to what he was going to say next.

"Kill her," Kauvara eyes widened slightly but she managed to keep silent and expressionless.

Meanwhile, in a rather boyish way, Reimis threw back his head and buried his face in is hands with a groan.

"You're so predictable! Unbelievably so! Murder isn't the answer to everything." he threw his hands dangerously close to Kauvara's face gesturing at her.

"Do you want to die? No? I don't think she wants to die."

The boy grunted in a dismissive way and began to walk away. Kauvara could hear the soles of his shoes drift farther away.