1928: content

"Mama, pleaseeeeee," Coco begged, and Imelda sighed.

"I already told you, mi vida, when I finish this pair of shoes, we'll go."

"Fineeee," Coco huffed, and left Imelda alone to continue the order.

She didn't have much time, however, since five minutes later, Coco entered again, this time with Oscar in tow.

Imelda turned to look at her brother, a look of warning in her eyes.

"What?" Oscar asked innocently.

Imelda just rolled her eyes and turned back to her work.

Coco sighed dramatically, but Imelda didn't even turn to look at her.

"Sobrina, what's wrong?" Oscar asked, in an obviously rehearsed voice.

"I am soooo hot. Basically dying of heat," Coco exaggerated.

"Hmm, now that you mention it, so am I," Oscar recited.

Coco gasped, obviously fake. "I know what could help!"

"Could it be... ice cream?"

"Yes!"

Imelda groaned. "For the last time, we'll go once I finish this pair of shoes!"

"Ugh, fine," Coco and Oscar chorused, and they shuffled out of the room.

Finally some peace and quiet, Imelda thought as she resumed sewing the leather.

Not even three minutes passed, however, until Coco and Oscar came back in, this time followed by Felipe.

"Hmm, it sure is hot here," Felipe said pensively, and Imelda let out another groan.

"Say, you know what sounds really good right now?" Oscar said.

"Ice cream!" Coco shouted.

"Ice cream! Ice cream! Ice cream!" All three of them were jumping up and down and circling her, and she rolled her eyes, but a whisper of a smile found its way to her face.

"Alright, alright, you win," she caved, putting down her needle. "Let's go get ice cream."

The three of them cheered, and Imelda pursed her lips to hide a smile.

"I'm gonna get chocolate," Oscar smiled dreamily.

"I'm gonna get strawberry," Coco said giddily.

"I'm gonna get vanilla," Felipe licked his lips.

Coco made a face. "Vanilla's boring."

Felipe gasped in mock indignation. "Vanilla's delicious!"

"Nope. Boring," Oscar took Coco's side, and they high-fived.

Imelda rolled her eyes good-naturally, as she took her daughter by the hand and walked to the plaza.

Later, when the years had gone by, she would regret she hadn't spent more moments like this, instead of slaving away at her work. But for now, hand in hand with her family, she was content.