1925: his family

Hector stopped at the window, studying the trinkets inside the store. The figurine of a dancer in a flowing colorful dress captivated him. Her limbs were outstretched, her head thrown back, and even though it was only ceramic, it seemed as though the dancer was alive in her movements.

It would take a lifetime to afford it; the marksmanship was so fine.

Good thing he had eternity ahead of him in the Land of the Dead, with nowhere else to go.

So Hector stopped in the busy street corner, a dilapidated guitar in his hand, and started playing. He played the entire day and through the night.

After all, skeletons didn't need sleep. Or food, or even shelter, really, since there was no weather in the Land of the Dead. He was glad, because not only did he not have to relive those terrible days of his childhood when he always went to bed hungry, when the rain and cold would wake him up in the middle of the night, but it also meant that he could save up all the money he earned for the figurine. For Coco, his own little dancer.

He already had a few trinkets stashed away, stuff he had found that made him think of them, of Coco and Imelda.

He couldn't wait to see them again.

But until then, he had to pass the time somehow, so he did it the only way he knew how: working for the people he loved. Working for his family.

That had been his purpose in life, and it hadn't changed, even in death.

They were his everything. They were his love, his memories, his thoughts. They were his family.