Sirius (1)

Part one

Receiving Your Letter...

  You dressed in your long, black robes. The train was now rushing through the valleys. The only thing visible from the window was a green blur. You could not believe this was real- that you actually got a letter from a school called Hogwarts. A school that teaches witches and wizards magic. The robes were very long on you, and smelled like new silk material. Your parents wanted to get you sized for new ones instead of getting them all secondhand. "I'm going to wake up soon." you told yourself. You didn't wake up though, and the train continued on quickly.

  You started stuffing your belongings in your trunk that was labeled with your name in a faded, permanent marker. The brown leather on the corners of it was now wearing off from use at your father's office. He had given it to you because you took a liking to how much room it had, and he needed a reason to get a new one anyway. Beside it was a large cage for a bird. Your mother had bought you a large barn owl as soon as you'd learned that you could have a pet. You had gone to the Magical Menagerie when getting all of your supplies. When you were looking around you had seen a lot of unique animals that you never would have thought of as pets before your letter. When you were walking around, examining each cage you came across a beautiful, large and brown barn owl. You had named her Poppy instantly. The owl hooted at you when meeting eyes.

  "Oh! That's a sweetheart, all right!" The saleswoman had told you.

  "She's beautiful." Your mother agreed, and so Poppy was yours.

  What a shock it was to your mother and father when they found out about your abilities. You, your father, and your cousin had all been sitting around the living room on a Sunday evening while your mother cooked supper. Your cousin, Tilly, had come over for a visit that weekend and you were all awaiting the arrival of her mother to come get her. Your father was sitting in his old recliner, the years of sitting down on it was growing- the cloth was pulling over to reveal stuffing. His slim body was tall and lengthy and reached past the bottom of the chair and extended closer to the couch. The only thing anyone could see of him as he sat in this recliner, reading his morning newspaper, was his thick, salt and peppered hair, receding at the top. You sat by Tilly on the floor, tracing patterns into the soft carpet and giggling about everything together. Tilly was short and pudgy, not in the way that she eats too much, but in the way that she can't shake her baby fat. Her personality was a lot like yours- loud and giggly. While you three sat together, your mother was in the kitchen, chopping her life away. You were both planning the next visit when a loud SMACK came from the front door.

  "That is probably Susanna." Your father said, setting his morning newspaper down on the sofa side table. "I'll get the door. Sure is an odd way to knock, though..." He got up from his seat.

  "Girls," your mother called, "Why don't you both go get Till's stuff from upstairs? Susanna won't want to climb over the mess the two of you made." Your mother suggested from the kitchen, yelling over the sound of a knife meeting a wooden board as she sliced the carrots for the stew.

  You and Tilly stood then ran up the stairs. "Don't forget the bracelets!" Tilly said, grabbing what looked like two thick, rubberband that were somehow wilting away. You had both gone out to the garden to do a favor for your mother. You weeded the flower bed, and what was removed was recycled into friendship bracelets. They looked horrific, as though they were rotting away with every passing second- and they probably were.

  "John?" Your mother's faint voice came from the kitchen downstairs below. "What is that?"

  "I don't know." Your father said, slamming the door behind him.