3

Vina

I TOYED with my black ballpoint pen while we awaited the judges' decision on the topic for the expository speech contest.

Currently, I found myself at Baronel High School, where student representatives, much like myself, had gathered from various corners of our province to engage in competition.

We were all here, anticipating the judges' choice for who would stand as the face of our province in the upcoming regional expository speech contest, scheduled merely a week away.

To be frank, it was quite a challenge. I mean, only a week to prepare? Sure, it might not be a concern for those who are well-versed in such affairs, but for others? Well, it might even mean skipping classes just to train.

Kawawa ang mananalo. Well, oo, may plano akong manalo ngayon pero dahil sa mga nangyayari sa buhay ko nitong mga nakaraang-araw, gusto ko munang tumakas. 

Nagiging malala ang pagiging weirdo ko. Mga pagkakataong bigla-bigla ko nalang napapansin ang sarili kong may ginagawa na hindi naman dapat, mga bagay na hindi angkop.

Glancing around, I spun my ballpoint pen, observing the crowd. Some faces were unfamiliar, but they appeared engaged in conversation with others, forming connections.

Of course, there were a few recognizable figures, like Ashton from Tareayo University, Acianty from Kores University, Mika from Don Gregerio University, and then there was Rhys from Novus University... whom I've been surreptitiously watching since earlier, as he repeatedly stole glances in my direction.

We were a total of twenty-eight contestants, supposed to be thirty-two, but four were no-shows. Seated at tables, we were divided into three sections, and I found myself positioned at the center table's left side. I hadn't particularly chosen to sit right in front of the judges as I composed my piece, but it seemed circumstances left me little choice.

Just as I focused on my thoughts, ready to retrieve all that I had practiced, a voice called out my name. It came from the adjacent table on my left.

Turning my attention that way, I masked my irritation with a composed expression, raising my eyebrows slightly in a polite manner, hoping to conceal that I had been interrupted in the midst of something important.

"I haven't crossed paths with you in a while," the voice said with a smile. "How's everything, Vina?"

It was Ashton. His hand had found its place on my left shoulder, curiosity gleaming in his eyes.

Ashton had represented us last year in the expository speech contest. While he hadn't secured first place in the regional competition, his role as our province's envoy to the other provinces was in itself a significant achievement.

I looked at his hand, then back at him. A subtle nod prompted me to respond, his patience evident. "I'm doing well," I finally answered, allowing my words to flow before gently moving his hand away from my shoulder. "And yes, it has indeed been a while."

His smile widened as he read the situation, retracting his hand from my shoulder. "Glad to hear that. Oh, by the way," he exclaimed, his eyes lighting up as if a memory had just resurfaced. "Congratulations. Andrei mentioned your triumph in the district-level quiz bee last week."

"Oo nga pala," another voice chimed in, Mika's. "Jesa and Sofiah told me you outdid them, along with your gen. chemistry and pre-cal classmate, in the quiz bee. What was your partner's name again? Avis?"

"Abbyss," I corrected her bago muling tumingin sa harapan.

As if struck by a revelation, Acianty, also at the left table, joined the conversation.