1 ▌WITNESS▐

The sound of rhythmic ringing hit your ears and continued in volume as you smacked a heavy hand around on the bed to quiet the ever increasing alarm. Feeling the smooth and cool surface of your phone your fingers dragged hopelessly on the screen to turn it off, but failing to the point you just pushed yourself up from the bed and pried a crusty eye open to finally drag away the dismiss button on the alarm.

Twump.

With the silence falling onto your ears like a comforting blanket your body dropped from the propped up arm back into the fluffy pillow. The warmth of the bed enveloped you one more before both eyes snapped open. Shit. Work starts in an hour. Frankly, you didn't like working at the job, but at least the money and benefits were good enough to deal with the constant flow of pissed off customers and shoplifters. Shifting your body once again you pushed up from the bed feeling them slightly sink into the plush memory foam.

You forced yourself into a sitting position and used the heels of your palms to wipe away the sleep in your eyes, making the blanket fall away from your upper half. The cold air clung onto your skin like claws as a shiver forced itself into your back. Letting your arms fall into your lap the sounds finally started to register. Distant sounds of cars driving from the highway just beyond the parking lot of the apartment rumbled in your ears and the shuffling of your next door neighbor's feet just behind the wall in front of you.

Grabbing the blanket you flung it from your lower half letting it fold over itself as you moved yourself out of bed. Now standing, you twisted your waist left and right hearing the pops from your spine. It felt nice, but the cold from the winter air outside was creeping around the room; even the carpet couldn't help the soles of your feet be sapped of all warmth. Heating is expensive, but the fact of the matter was you need it right now.

Walking across your room you headed out the white door into your small living room/ kitchen combo. Making your way over to the thermostat that clung to the wall just to the left of a couch you turn it up to 73℉ and hear the heat kick in from the vents on the floor. You decided to stick by the one near the corner of the living room to let your fingers and toes warm up; they were getting stiff.

After a good minute you finally decided that they were warm enough as you made your way into the kitchen. The only thing that kept the kitchen separate from the living room was the change from carpet into checkered tiles and an elbow island that left enough of a gap to the right of it for the hall to the front door, effectively making two entrances into the kitchen. You grabbed a coffee mug from a cabinet above the counter and filled it with water from the sink just to your right. Your mind was becoming hazy and limbs sluggish as you set the almost overflowing mug onto the counter. Standing there for a couple of seconds; the heaviness wore off and allowed you to continue.

Pulling the coffee machine over you flicked open the top, pouring in all the water from the mug and placing it just below the machine. Finally, you grabbed a small coffee pod and placed it into the compartment, closing the lid and turning it on. Work was going to be a pain in the ass. Christmas was going to be approaching, but even before that thanksgiving was going to happen. Even worse, Black Friday. Another shiver ran up your spine at the thought of seeing waves of raging Americans willing to rip and tear anyone who got in the way of the items they wanted. No thanks.

The smell of coffee hit your nose as you glanced over to a filled mug. You quickly pull away the mug and add the right amount of sugar and powdered creamer to the black bean liquid to get that perfect taste. A grace of warmth as the extremely hot liquid passed your lips and coated your tongue. Usually, this should make you recoil, but your high pain tolerance lets you enjoy the coffee right from the machine. That and your ability to heal from even the roughest of injuries. You definitely made the effort to hide this curse that plagued your entire life.