4

It had been a few weeks since the house fire. Firehouse 51's early rising Firefighters and EMTs arrived as usual at the house prompt and ready to start yet another 24 hour shift.

Under the hue of the slowly rising, seven am sun, the team emerged from their separate cars, and headed to change out of their civilian clothing.

Borrelli and Brett where soon by the ambo checking their stock, while Casey, Hermann, Mouch, Otis and Cruz where stood around watching Dawson do her compartment checks on the truck.

Finally Kelly, Gallagher, Rice, Tony and Cap were sat idly at the Squad table cards in hand and lazy coffees by their sides.

While for some the last two days of rest had meant a small bought of work on their side job, for Reign, it had only been a whole different day of graft. For the last few weeks, with what small moments of rest she did have between shifts and her work at the Alibi room, Reign had promised to spend with Jay.

That morning- weeks back- where they had shared a breakfast platter before he headed into work had gone well. She had been excited to see him again, despite how nervous it made her after so long with no contact. But to her surprise there was nearly no awkward air between the two old friends. And they had picked up right where they had left off. And now that breakfast platter had become a tradition.

Small texts during and after the hard days made them both smile on the job, getting them though the carnage with a security neither of them had really felt before.

Movie marathons, walks around the south side and long nights at Molly's filled the twos' free time. It had been weeks now. But like always her days on shift would send her life back to the present, her new normal-

At the squad table that morning, Gallagher went to tease Kelly about his crap hand of cards she had been peaking at over his shoulder, when her phone suddenly buzzed in her pocket. She jolted from her quiet snooping and reached into her trouser pocket for the device.

"Who is it?" Kelly asked and she gave a small nod as the phone's screen was lit up with a re-familiar name, Jay Halstead, she unconsciously smiled despite herself as she clicked the green receiver button and held the phone up to her ear. "Hey Halstead."
"Hey Gallagher."

The guys around her have one another looks of amusement. Something was definitely going on with their friend and the detective.

"What's up?" She asked and he sighed into the phone (more of a groan then a sigh but still it made her giggle.) "what's wrong now?" She smirked knowing exactly what had elicited this reaction.

"You remember how I told you my brother was back in town?" He asked and she replied a short "yeah."
"Well he's already being a pain in the ass."

"Jay it's been three weeks.....and I know Will's a pain in the ass, I've met him remember." She sighed knowing how taught the brothers relationship was at present.
"You and I both know what he's like Rei, but it's barely his third month at Med and he's still leaving the house twenty minutes late."

"Jay you're his brother not his baby sitter- plus it's not like you're exactly trying your hardest to help find a place." She said softly still with a hint of amusement. "I know, I know....I just.....why'd I invite him to stay waits me?" He groaned,

"Jay Halstead! That is your brother you're talking about." She jokingly chastised. "but we were supposed to go out Tomorrow and now he's......he's talking about going out and I-....listen I know I promised dinner tomorrow but we caught a bad case- and now this is happening and-." He continued to whine down the line until she cut him off.