5

A knock on the Gallagher home's door emanated through the sitting room. The two youngest boys who had been sat on the sofa, side by side gave a quick glance before Fiona called from the kitchen, "hey Carl can you get that?"

And Fiona's voice was not one of patients. The woman sitting at her kitchen table was not who she had been wanting to see and seeing her face again had only made the whole family's day a lot worse.

"Uh." The young boy groaned indignantly before he heaved himself up off of the sofa and trudged his way over to the door. He tugged open the heavy wooden door and gazed up at the two figures in the door way. Two tall and intimidating looking men.

Both were decked in dark coloured jeans, T-shirts and jackets- and both with badges and guns on their hips or necks. "Fiona! It's the cops!" Carl called out instinctively, making the second-eldest Gallagher suddenly look up from her mother who she'd been glaring daggers at all morning.

Her face became laced with a confused and slightly worried expression before a familiar voice rang out behind her.

"Fiona."

She span to look at Jay who nodded at her and she gave a rye nod back. "Hey Jay.....what.....what's going on?" She cautiously asked, dreading the news- had something happened? Something bad? Something to put Monica's surprise re-arrival backwards in her mind after the morning she'd had.

"Reign's Lieutenant called me.....they.....he said he couldn't get a hold of you. Or even find a number." Jay explained as the stranger beside him nodded solemnly. The second man remained quiet as he looked around the place he didn't know Jay knew like the back of his hand.

"Is she dead?" Fiona asked in an almost numb voice. She didn't know if she'd be ready to here it. Her sister, her protector- the only person ever truly looking out for Fiona aswell as everyone else.

She panicked at merely his saddened tone and the two men's grim faces. "No....no....you er....you remember my brother, Will?" He asked and she nodded confused now, what did his brother have to do with this.

"he's a doctor- he said......he called too- says she got brought into Med.....she needs surgery on her arm and she doesn't have a medical next of kin listed but they need consent to operate and wanted us to find you before she-."

"Can you drive me to her?" Fiona cut him off. "Yeah of course." The other man finally spoke. "Carl, take Liam and go across to V and Kev's and stay there until I get back- try and call Lip and Ian and tell them I'm going to the hospital for Rei." She turned and ordered her brother handing him the key to the house off of a hook on the side of the fridge.

But then the woman at the kitchen table spoke. "Oh my god is my Reign-y okay?! Fiona I'm coming with you and your frien-."
"The fuck you are Monica." Fiona spat back at the older woman.

"Fiona she's my daughter!" The blonde woman gasped and Jay's head snapped to her almost out of muscle memory, a sour look came across his features. "Like she'd want you there." He spat and his friend gave him a look- the older Latino man giving the younger detective a warning glint of his eye- but then Antonio realised he didn't know the whole story here.

Fiona ignored her deadbeat mother turning to leave the home swiftly. "Be good." She leaned down and kissed her littlest brother's head on the way and then she moved to follow the two detectives to their car.

-.-.-.-.-

"Will! Kelly!" Jay called out to two men who were stood amongst the bustling centre of Med's recently refurbished ER.

"Hey Jay....you get hold of-." The first man, tall and redheaded, in a white doctors coat over dark red scrubs, turned to face them; cutting himself off at the sight of Fiona's anxiety-ridden face.