Chapter 1- An Accident or Fate?

The sun sits high on a bright spring sky. The cicadas buzz while the the peaceful rush of the river water calms me down. As I walk along the top of the steep hill by the river, the chatter of people passing by adds to the background noise as I'm lost in my thoughts. While I felt better than before, I just couldn't shake off the argument that had transpired before I ran out of my house.

"But mom, I tried my best!"

"Well your best isn't good enough! How dare you think that you wont get into that university and become a doctor for me! Do you not want to support your own mother?"

"That's not it mom I-"

"Shut your mouth! Your father would be so ashamed if he was still with us," she looked at the old family portrait with the three of us, "God took the wrong person from me. If only he took you instead. My life would be so much better!"

"H-how could you say that?! You're my mother!" I shouted as tears formed in my eyes.

"No...you're not my son. Get out of my sight! I don't to see you again unless you come back to your senses!"

Without hesitation I left the house. The tears wouldn't stop flowing. I didn't care that people stared and judged me as I walked.

I was completely lost. I didn't know where to go, so I just kept walking. I sighed, what was I supposed to do now? Would I ever find happiness? Would I find someone who loves me for who I am?

The noise of cheering snapped me out of my thoughts. I was now by a park that I'd never seen before. A soft ball game was taking place at one of the fields that the park had. It looked like two girls teams were playing each other. They look around my age. I wonder if mom would be proud of me if I were goods at sports.

"Hey, watch out!" A voice called out.

A sudden force hit the side of my head, knocking me over. The world spun around me as I tumbled down the hill. Pain coursed through my body as I continued to plummet. Another hard object hit my head as I descended the the hill. It must've been a rock. Whatever it was, it caused my vision to begin fading. To top it all off, I tumbled right into the river. With a blurred and fading vision I looked upwards towards the blinding sky

The world around me, the clear sunny sky, the light summer breeze, the light rustling of the branches, the freezing river water - all these fade to black.

In the final moments before my consciousness faded, I thought I briefly caught a glimpse of a figure diving into the water above me. The sun hid behind the figures heads as they swam towards me.

"An angel? Am I really going to die here?" I thought to myself.

Everything faded away.

The repetitive beeping of a heart monitor and constant ticking of a clock greeted me as I woke up. Upon opening my heavy eyes, I looked around me only to discover that I wasn't in my bed, nor was I along the river. I was laying in a hospital bed. Whatever happened before I got here wasn't a cruel nightmare, it was real.

"I'm alive? Wait...I don't have any broken bones, do I?" I thought to myself. I quickly examined myself expecting the worse. To my surprise, I had no broken bones, only a bunch of cuts and bruises, which was to be expected after what I just went through.

I stared at the ceiling not sure what to do. I can count the number of times I've been to a hospital on one hand. Never in my life have I ever been bedridden as I am now. The slightest of movements punish me with jolts of pain.

The memory of the argument with my mom returned to me. What the hell was I supposed to do now? Will anything good happen to me?

"You're finally awake! I was starting to think you'd never wake up!"